[lg policy] South Africa: SASCO says: Blade's language policy is just what the doctor ordered

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 8 13:23:05 UTC 2011

From: Lazola Ndamase <src... at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:33:22 +0200

 SASCO says: Blade's language policy is just what the doctor ordered

*Blade’s Language policy is just what the Doctor ordered*

*07 April 2011*

The compulsory African language policy the Minister of Higher Education and
Training will implement in all institutions is a timely intervention in the
development of African languages which have borne the brunt of Apartheid
policies. We believe that the implementation of this will contribute to
uniting the South African working class through language across racial or
tribal lines. Of course, we are aware that this is not a panacea to all our
problems but it is certainly a bold step towards the right direction.

We are convinced that white working class students will welcome this with
utmost enthusiasm since their socio-economic circumstances do not allow them
the time and finances do not permit them to venture into various African
languages on their own vocation. We call on the Minister of Basic Education
to extend this to the Basic Education sector by implementing our call for a
three language policy which will comprise of one Nguni language, one Sotho
related language and one European inherited language (English or Afrikaans).

This is the radicalism and decisiveness we require from the government of a
revolutionary liberation movement. We also call on the Department of Higher
Education to step up the pace of curriculum transformation and dismantle the
institutional autonomy, otherwise, this very important decision will be
resisted if not ignored by intransigent institutions which believe they have
a right to do as they please while they continue to siphon funds from the
state.

*For details Contact:*

*Mbulelo Mandlana (President)*

*Or*

*Lazola Ndamase (Secretary General)*

http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum/browse_thread/thread/845128125efcb2f2?pli=1

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)