[lg policy] A request

Christina Paulston paulston at PITT.EDU
Sun Apr 10 23:09:02 UTC 2011

As you have all seen, Dr. Schiffman has asked me to keep this
discussion on the list.  First a few questions to Abbas Zaidi.
"My referee" refers to whom?  Are you writing a dissertation?  Or are
you involved in some kind of competition and the referee is your
judge? Does not seem likely.  My basic question is Why do you have to
pay attention to what your referee  thinks.  In the real world that is
of some importance, even in defining concepts and data.
	Second question, are you sure your data are correct?  I don't really
believe you and here is why. In  1982 The Ethnologue lists about 58
million speakers of Panjabi, in 2005 it lists 60 and a half million
speakers, ie a gain of 2 million speakers. Pakistan has a literacy
rate of  26% so your % of educated Panjabi speakers is not likely to
be high;  it is a standardized written language with all forms of
oral media, film, radio, and TV, and furthermore it is an official
state language in India.  All these are factors which contribute to
lge maintenance.  I have no economic data which would argue for shift
( I am not saying that there aren't any, just that I don't know them )
but if Pakistan Punjab is like the India Punjab I knew, the majority
of  Panjabi speakers live off the soil, another factor which tends
toward maintenance.  In short, Panjabi strikes me as a very poor
candidate for language shift  so why are you doing this study.
	To keep your referee happy whoever s/he be, I suggest you follow
Myers-Scotton's implied suggestion and use majority-minority languages
ONLY quantitatively  and for comparing or labeling  demographic data
which incidentally your government is not very keen on having made
public (personal communication).  So to answer your question, if you
want to present Panjabi as a minority language, do not use that term
but as Vilfan (1993) suggests instead label it a non-dominant or non-
privileged  language to which I would add subordinate (Paulston 1994)
and make very sure that you discuss the social factors that make you
draw such a conclusion that it is subordinate.  You have mentioned
one,  is not used as medium of education.  What else?
Religion was the rationale for the creation of Pakistan, how does that
influence language policies.  You will have explicit but also implicit
rationales  for these language policies. Do you know what they are?  I
would guess that most of them serve to keep the elites as elites, that
is also a form of maintenance that often results in status quo.  What
about East Bengal;  what influence does history have on the language
situation?  What is your own ideology behind wanting to declare
Panjabi as a minority language?  What questions do you want to answer?
	I can't really answer your question about similar situations because
I don't trust your description of it.  Could you restate the
question?  You must have in mind something like  a situation where the
majority of the population speaks a language which is  ignored
officially by the government?  You will find, as you mention with
Wolof, tthat different degrees of it will exist in most of sub-Sahara
Africa.  It will be your task to document the degree.  Do private
schools teach Panjabi? Does a doctor in a Lahore hospital speak to  a
Panjabi speaking patient in Panjabi?  The Ethnolinguistic Vitality
tests are based on categories for LMS that can guide you in setting
questions, not for shift but for how much the government ignores or
discriminates or exploits or ? ?
whatever the social factors are for answering your questions.