[lg policy] A request

Zaidi manoo at BRUNET.BN
Mon Apr 11 14:06:37 UTC 2011

Dave
It is great help. I owe you.
Regards.
Abbas Zaidi

-----Original Message-----
From: lgpolicy-list-bounces+manoo=brunet.bn at groups.sas.upenn.edu
[mailto:lgpolicy-list-bounces+manoo=brunet.bn at groups.sas.upenn.edu] On
Behalf Of Dave Sayers
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 5:14 PM
To: Language Policy List
Subject: Re: Re: [lg policy] A request

I raised a similar question about the minority/majority question last May.
I'll forward all the responses to you separately.

As for defining power, I can recommend this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=quoKni9pjI8C&printsec=frontcover

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow
dave.sayers at cantab.net
http://swansea.academia.edu/DaveSayers/About

On 19:59, Christina Paulston wrote:
> If by majority, you mean numbers and by minority subordinate groups in
> a nation state, all the native languages of RSA under apartheid ( and
> probably to a degree still) would be examples. ( If you are picky, you
> can probably find tribal languages of less  than the 3 million
> speakers -- rough estimate of Afrikaans speakers -- which would then
> not qualify).  If by majority you mean superordinate but small in
> numbers, the Afrikaners of same time is an example, the  Swedes in
> Finland during joint kingdom days, etc.  With increasing number of
> democratic countries, and increasing clout through actual votes, the
> first example is becoming less common.  We (sociology of language
> people ) don't see very much in the literature of split power between
> groups, e.g. Quebec which had Anglo economic power and Francophone
> demographic, meaning majority votes, power  but the present language
> policies are a result of this split power.  The Francophone concern
> for Canadian minority language rights has not extended to their
> indigenous population.
>     If I have misinterpreted your question, you will have to define
> your terms which I suggest you do anyway. It will make for less
> confusion.  But I am guilty of the same; I ( and sociolinguists in
> general) throw the  concept of power around without much or any
> analysis of sources and explication in general.  If anyone has a
> useful definition, analysis of power, I would love a reference or two.
> By useful I mean as a concept that can do solid work on the
> language scene. Any poli sci people out there?       Christina
>

> On Apr 9, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Zaidi wrote:
>

>> Friends
>> In what context(s) can a majority language be considered a minority
>> language? Are there some examples?
>> Many thanks and Regards.
>> Abbas Zaidi

To manage your subscription unsubscribe, or arrange digest format:

database 6032 (20110411) __________

http://www.eset.com