[lg policy] Re: A request

Paul Lewis ethguy1 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 13 03:54:23 UTC 2011

APOLOGIES FOR THE DELAY ON THIS RESPONSE.  I POSTED IT FROM THE WRONG
E-MAIL ACCT AND IT NEVER MADE IT TO THE LIST.

Dear Christina and all on the Lg Policy List:

Thank you for the nice words about the Ethnologue!

The data we have on populations of language speakers are probably the
most contested and oft-questioned of all that we report. At the country
level, we generally rely on national census data. In the case of
Pakistan, the date we have for that information is the year 2000.
Christina suggested she might comment on census data - and I'm sure
she'll point out that national census protocols for collecting language
data are rife with problems and notoriously inconsistent both internally
and across national boundaries.

For individual languages, especially larger and more widespread
languages, the population of L1 speakers is often also derived from
census reports or (perhaps worse) from a variety of different sources
which are aggregated. The 16th edition of the Ethnologue (2009) reports
60,600,000 L1 speakers of Punjabi [pnb] in Pakistan and about another
1.5 million elsewhere. Clearly with such a large population it is
difficult to imagine that the language as a whole is seriously or
imminently endangered, but that doesn't mean that language shift might
not be incipient.

Without having gone to our sources to look at the details (mainly for
technical reasons just now), I'd suggest that the growth in Punjabi L1
speaker population seems consistent with normal biological growth
generally. The statistic that we don't have--which would be particularly
helpful in this discussion--is the ethnic population number, i.e., how
many people identify themselves as being associated with the Punjabi
language and identity. That number compared over time with the number of
L1 speakers would be a better indicator of language maintenance or shift
than simply reporting the raw number of speakers. If an increasing
number of self-identifying Punjabis are not speakers, then there is
cause to be concerned.

Apart from that, what further complicates the majority/minority question
being raised is the fact that from all that has been reported, Punjabi
is a Low language in the language ecology of Pakistan. Even though it
has been developed, it seems to share many of the features of what
Ferguson described as "Low" and as a result might appear in more recent
terms to be "minoritized" (even by its own speakers) in spite of their
large numbers and its widespread use. That, in itself, is not sufficient
evidence to declare that Punjabi is on the decline. As is well known,
languages in such a High/Low relationship have been maintained for very
long periods of time. So the fact that even speakers of the language
think poorly of it, is not sufficient evidence of language shift either.

The most central factor in evaluating language maintenance and shift is
intergenerational transmission. If adults are not transmitting the
language to children (in the home, neighborhood, community), then the
number of L1 speakers will inevitably decline.

All the best,

  M. Paul Lewis, PhD.

Editor, Ethnologue: Languages of the World (www.ethnologue.com
<http://www.ethnologue.com>) Sociolinguistics Consultant, SIL