[lg policy] Re: lgpolicy-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 31

mostari hind hmostari at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 20 18:48:43 UTC 2011

Dear Ron,
I really think you are right because Steward in 1963 said something about concepts of vernacular and dialect which are unacceptable now .

allllllllll the best
Dr Mostari

--- On Wed, 4/20/11, Ronald Kephart <ronkephart at comcast.net> wrote:

From: Ronald Kephart <ronkephart at comcast.net>
Subject: [lg policy] Re: lgpolicy-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 31
To: lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu
Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 5:16 PM

On 4/20/11 12:00 PM, lgpolicy-list-request at groups.sas.upenn.edu wrote:
Hi everybody ,
While teaching today Stewards' (1963) language typologies , I discovered that he made a kind of difference between vernacular and dialect , but in 2011 , do you think that there is any difference between such concepts .
For ease of use , I consider them as equals  in meanings so am I wrong?

alllllllllll the best
Dr Mostari

In my admittedly perhaps idiosyncratic view, all "languages" are actually dialects of Human Language.  If I use the term "vernacular" I generally intend it to mean an "unwritten" or at least "non-standard" dialect, as opposed to a "standard" one.

Feel free to ignore this post.

Ron

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----