[lg policy] Election Ringside, April 21: An orange game-changer in Quebec?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 22 14:13:17 UTC 2011

Election Ringside, April 21: An orange game-changer in Quebec?

Election Ringside is a daily e-mail exchange for The Globe and Mail
between strategists Tom Flanagan and John Duffy. Check in every
weekday afternoon during the 2011 federal election campaign for their
insights and opinions about the campaign as it unfolds.

From: Tom Flanagan
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 10:22 a.m. ET
To: John Duffy
Subject: Election Ringside

Hi John,

Parlons Québéc! Given your Liberal and my Conservative background, I
think we've focused too much on our two parties and missed the NDP
surge in Quebec, which is the most interesting story of the campaign
thus far. If the NDP is truly in first place in Quebec, as reported by
CROP, that is really big news and a possible game-changer for Canadian
politics. I don't think anyone saw this coming. All the talk in the
first part of the campaign was about the NDP decline. So much for the
perspicacity of the punditi, and all the other nattering nabobs of
negativism.

Tell me why the NDP is surging in Quebec at this time. I have
absolutely no idea. The only thing I can point out is that the
Liberals took a run at the Bloc in 1997-2000, and then the
Conservatives had their try in 2006-2008. I guess there's a pool of
Bloc voters who aren't really separatists, and they're running a
slow-motion beauty contest to see if any of the federalist parties
suit their fancy. Both the Liberals and Conservatives ultimately
failed in their bid to displace the Bloc; who knows whether the NDP
will have long-term success?