[lg policy] David Starkey: 'The whites have become black'

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Sun Aug 14 09:02:19 UTC 2011

Celebrity historian David Starkey -- known for his 'strong' views --
probes a new low on BBC Newsnight, with a tangled rhetorical soup mixing
up black influence on English dialects, inner city multiethnicity, and
criminality behind the London riots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2_6ggJf3ns

I hope that someone takes a screenshot of him eight minutes in, holding
his hands in front of him like that, and photoshops him into one of the
troublesome chavs he detests, making a gang sign. Starkey really needs
to be mocked, not criticised. To that end, I'll give into the academic
reflex to reach for a quotation:

“By devoting serious attention and thought to his victim, the critic
shows him respect. … [With] satire, in contrast, … the joker abuses his
victim, then presents him as laughable or absurd – beneath the bother of
serious contempt” (Wilson, 1979:194).

Wilson, Christopher P. (1979). Jokes – Form, Content and Function.
Academic Press: London.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers