[lg policy] David Starkey: 'The whites have become black'

Damien Hall D.Hall at KENT.AC.UK
Mon Aug 15 16:15:29 UTC 2011

At the _very same second_ as I cross-posted my message with the BBC article in it to the Language Policy List, I received this post of John Rickford's on the Variationist List.  The castigation of David Starkey goes on - and not just by academic linguists, either, as Pullum's Language Log post makes clear.

Thanks, John!

Any Language Policy List members who would be interested in discussions of topics related to variationist / Labovian sociolinguistics would be welcome on the Variationist List, too:  you can see its archive, and join if you want to, at

http://j.mp/VAR-L

As you can see, some topics are of interest to both communities!

Damien

--

Damien Hall

University of Kent (UK)
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, 'Towards a New Linguistic Atlas of France'

English Language and Linguistics, School of European Culture and Languages