[lg policy] to Gareth

mostari hind hmostari at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 22 00:00:48 UTC 2011

Dear Gareth ,
Concerning  your observation on youth speaking English in an 'inappropriate way' follwing the standards , I think that the role of a linguist is to decribe the linguistic situations and not to prescribe how people ought to speak . So, I understand your worries but we have nothing to do because it is a part of the natural human linguistic behaviour that we should observe , discuss and comment without judging !

all the best
Dr Mostari
Algeria

________________________________
From: Christina Paulston <paulston at pitt.edu>
To: Language Policy List <lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu>
Cc: Dominika Baran <dominikabaran at gmail.com>; "Patrick, Peter L" <patrickp at essex.ac.uk>; David Britain <david.britain at ens.unibe.ch>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: [lg policy] Ghetto grammar robs the young of a proper voice

Gareth,
    I don't think I would make it so obvious to everyone on this list that you lack an understanding of linguistics.  Not to bore everyone, one example will suffice, I don't think the French would quite understand what you mean by tedious double negatives., n'est-ce pas?  Or if it comes to that,  English speakers: " It is not for nothing Chomsky does not pay taxes"  was a popular counterexample during the Vietnamese war.  And why is "innit" vacuous, it packs in one word the meaning of three, "is it not" - surely the very opposite of vacuous.?  Etc.  And metathesis with  words like ask has been around for a very long time -- it is not increasingly fashionable.
    Gareth, it is wonderful that you mentor young people but don't belittle them for the way they speak.  They learned it from their family and friends --  you really want to tell them that they are squandering the glory that was England by the way they speak ?  Christina