[lg policy] bibitem: Dell Hymes and the New Language Policy Studies: Update from an Underdeveloped Country

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 18 18:02:01 UTC 2011

Dell Hymes and the New Language Policy Studies: Update from an
Underdeveloped Country

    TERESA L. MCCARTY1,*,
    JAMES COLLINS2,*,
    RODNEY K. HOPSON3,*

Article first published online: 16 DEC 2011

DOI: 10.1111/j.1548-1492.2011.01143.x

This essay updates Dell Hymes's “Report from an Underdeveloped
Country” (the USA), positioning our analysis in the New Language
Policy Studies. Taking up Hymes's call for comparative, critical
studies of language use, we examine three cases, organizing our
analysis around Hymes's questions: What “counts” as a language, a
language problem, and “proper” language use? We conclude with a final
question suggested by Hymes's Report: How can a critical-ethnographic
approach to language policy transform persistent linguistic
inequalities? [Dell Hymes, new language policy studies, ethnography of
communication, linguistic inequality, educational linguistics]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1548-1492.2011.01143.x/abstract

Issue: Anthropology & Education Quarterly
 Volume 42, Issue 4, pages 335–363, December 2011
 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)