[lg policy] Support Terralingua, and help keep indigenous knowledge alive

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 28 15:58:38 UTC 2011

 Forwarded From: Terralingua <info at terralingua.org>
Date: Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view:CampaignPublic/id:1405789.7403363044/rid=252173ce26b8253d7d809a38d0082356>.

  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/1405789/96c97457ec56f5d97e6d583cb7e4d944/7403363044/?mrid=252173ce26b8253d7d809a38d0082356><http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/1405789/96c97457ec56f5d97e6d583cb7e4d944/7403363044/><http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/1405789/96c97457ec56f5d97e6d583cb7e4d944/7403363044/>
         [image:
DonateNow]<http://e2ma.net/go/7403363044/208787263/230351842/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>

 December 27, 2011

 *Why should we value the Voices of the Earth—the 7000 languages spoken on
this planet, and all the stories, songs, myths and legends, and other oral
traditions through which those languages have found creative expression?*

Linda Smith, a linguist from the Tsilhqot’in First Nation of British
Columbia, Canada, puts it this way—and we couldn’t say it better:

“As Tsilhqot’in, one’s connectedness comes through the ancient stories,
influencing one’s interactions with others in the community, respect for
ancestors, and sustainable interaction with environment.”

*Oral traditions are the essence of the bond of people to people, and of
people to place. They tell us how to be human, how to respect one another,
and how to care for the natural world that sustains us.*

But as the world’s indigenous languages are increasingly at risk of being
silenced, so are the ancient teachings that the Voices of the Earth convey,
for the benefit of indigenous communities, and of humanity at large.

*That’s why it’s so important to sustain the Voices of the Earth—and that’s
why this year Terralingua started the Voices of the Earth
project.<http://e2ma.net/go/7403363044/208787263/230351843/1405789/goto:https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=288>Working
with people like Linda Smith and other First Nations language
champions, we are supporting vital efforts to document oral traditions and
transmit them to the younger generations.*

The fruits of this work—the stories and other forms of oral literature that
these champions are gathering—will serve to enhance educational curriculum
in indigenous schools and bolster language maintenance and revitalization.
In some bases, as with the Tsilhqot’in, these oral traditions will also
help strengthen the defense of indigenous lands from unwanted development.

*By donating to Terralingua today, you will support this critical effort,
and help us expand the reach of our Voices of the Earth project to other
Indigenous Peoples worldwide.*

*There is no time to lose! Make a donation to Terralingua
today<http://e2ma.net/go/7403363044/208787263/230351844/1405789/goto:https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=288>,
and join the effort to keep the Voices of the Earth alive and strong!*

With best regards and warm wishes for the holidays,

Luisa Maffi, Ph.D.
 Terralingua Co-founder and Director

 *Thanks for your donations! *
*Contributions to Terralingua are tax-deductible in the U.S.A.
*

 *

*
  <http://e2ma.net/go/7403363044/208787263/230351828/1405789/goto:https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=288>

           217 Baker Road | Salt Spring Island, B.C. | V8K 2N6 | Canada

This email was sent to *haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu*. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/app/view:Manage/signupId:1412570/id:1405789.7403363044/rid:252173ce26b8253d7d809a38d0082356>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/app/view:OptOut/ID:1405789.7403363044/signupId:1412570/rid:252173ce26b8253d7d809a38d0082356>using