[lg policy] Join the Terralingua Family!

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 5 17:00:19 UTC 2011

Forwarded From: Terralingua <info at terralingua.org>
Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=1405789.6953623059/rid=b662bde55633a21b2c06d90176bafaae>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/1405789/ec594ad0ddadf0d8ca5a2b18cc071f62/6953623059/?mrid=b662bde55633a21b2c06d90176bafaae>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/1405789/ec594ad0ddadf0d8ca5a2b18cc071f62/6953623059/>

------------------------------
 [image: DonateNow]<http://e2ma.net/go/6953623059/208457468/219510054/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>

  February 4, 2011

 Terralingua has an opportunity for you! It is simply this:

   1. *Read *about the issue that motivates Terralingua's work
    2. *Ask yourself*: Is this issue important to you?
    3. *Ask yourself*: Is Terralingua making a difference?
    4. *Decide*: Would you like to further this work by being part of the
   Terralingua Family, and contribute to sustaining the vitality of all life on
   this planet?

*The Issue: *
Both biological diversity and cultural diversity are in steep decline. Over
the past three decades, there has been a 20% decline in biological diversity
and a similar decline in cultural diversity. In short, the world is becoming
ever more impoverished in the diversity of life in both nature and
culture—which we call “biocultural diversity”. What does this means for us
all? First, it means a loss in the unique ways of life of the world’s
diverse peoples and in the rich biodiversity that supports them. Second, it
means a profound weakening in the whole fabric of life—the web of
interdependence that is absolutely vital to our flourishing along with all
other species.
* *
*What Terralingua is Doing About It: *
Terralingua has been at the forefront of creating global awareness that
biological and cultural diversity together make up the web of life. Not only
has Terralingua developed the tools—including its innovative set of maps
(which show where biodiversity and cultural diversity overlap globally and
regionally) and two first-ever indexes (which will enable researchers and
policy makers to assess progress in arresting the decline of language
diversity and traditional environmental knowledge). But also, Terralingua
has carried out case studies to better understand the factors of biocultural
diversity loss that must be put at bay if we are to counter this
life-threatening loss. As well, Terralingua has been spearheading
biocultural policy internationally, including the resolution passed by  IUCN
for incorporating biocultural diversity in its work program. Now we're
working to put biocultural diversity education in schools, as well as to !
document the oral traditions of indigenous peoples, which reveal the
intimate connection between nature and culture. Terralingua’s leadership in
this field is becoming globally recognized, through its publications (such
as our biocultural diversity sourcebook) and recent postings on the National
Geographic News Watch website. But the struggle to maintain diversity and
beauty in both nature and culture is far from over. Constant efforts are
needed to change the destructive course that has led to the current
predicament.

*How You Can Contribute:*
Terralingua needs your help! Our latest initiatives require new resources.
So does our continued advocacy work emphasizing that to protect the web of
life we must protect diversity in both nature and culture. We ask that you
consider generously supporting the work of Terralingua, as it is vital to
keeping the planet a viable home for humans and all the other species that
comprise the web of life. Your contribution will enable Terralingua to take
an even more active role as the world’s leader in advancing understanding of
the critical role that biocultural diversity plays in sustaining all life on
earth.

Donating is easy! Just click on the "Donate Now"
<http://e2ma.net/go/6953623059/208457468/219510055/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>button
below. You can also send us a check by mail to the address below.
Contributions to Terralingua are tax-deductible in the U.S.A. As Terralingua
is an international non-profit organization, your charitable donation may be
tax-deductible in other countries as well. Please refer to the tax code for
your country.

We look forward to welcoming you on board! With the help of our growing
Terralingua Family, we will be able to be even more effective both in
spearheading awareness of the life-essential value of biocultural diversity
and in taking positive action towards stemming its loss.

Cordially,

Luisa Maffi
Co-founder and Director

  WILL YOU BE DONATING TODAY?
<http://e2ma.net/go/6953623059/208457468/219510056/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>

 [image: DonateNow]<http://e2ma.net/go/6953623059/208457468/219510057/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>

 please make a cheque to Terralingua and  mail it to the address below
If you are sending your donation by mail

        217 Baker Road | Salt Spring Island, B.C. | V8K 2N6 | Canada

This email was sent to *haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu*. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=1412570/id=1405789.6953623059/rid=b662bde55633a21b2c06d90176bafaae>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=1405789.6953623059/rid=b662bde55633a21b2c06d90176bafaae/signupId=1412570>using