[lg policy] Wales: Royal Assent for official status of Welsh language

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Mon Feb 14 10:44:20 UTC 2011

The 'official' question was one that heavily occupied the debate behind
the Welsh Language Measure ('Measure' = Welsh law). Here's a report of
part of that debate from Dec 2010:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/betsanpowys/2010/12/spot_the_link.html

Here's a record of when official status was being tinkered with in the
proposed legislation:

http://www.assemblywales.org/summary_of_amendments_wl.pdf#page=9

...and here's the relevant bit on 'official status' in the version of
the legislation as passed:

http://www.assemblywales.org/welsh_language_measure_as_passed-e.pdf#page=12

Notably, although this requires Welsh to be treated 'no less favourably
than English', it nevertheless 'does not affect the status of the
English language in Wales.'

As for the Western Mail, yes this is the only Wales-wide newspaper - not
to be confused with The Western Telegraph, which serves only
Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire (in South-West Wales). The Western
Mail is no relation of the Daily Mail; there are no Welsh editions of
UK-wide papers (as there are in Scotland). This dearth is a bugbear for
many.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers