[lg policy] Nigeria: Government takes entrepreneurship studies to secondary schools

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 14 15:38:38 UTC 2011

Government takes entrepreneurship studies to secondary schools

BY NGOZI SAMS

February 14, 2011 03:54PM

The National Universities Commission recently introduced
entrepreneurship studies as a compulsory subject for all university
undergraduates in Nigeria. So the Nigerian Educational Research and
Development Council (NERDC) has also included entrepreneurship studies
in its newly-developed curriculum for secondary schools. Godswill
Obioma, executive secretary of the NERDC told journalists at the
weekend in Abuja that the effort is geared towards inculcating
requisites skills to empower young secondary school graduates who do
not have resources for acquiring higher education to earn a living.

"When we came on board in 2005, the first target was to see how we can
link up with the reform; NEEDS was adopted in 2004 and we have
curriculum which we revised for basic education captured the very
essence of NEEDS: poverty eradication and wealth creation," he said.
"We have revived the basic education curriculum, taking into account
HIV/AIDS education, basic technology which creates basic element of
national training. Another major impact is the senior secondary school
curriculum."

Mr. Obioma said that in the new curriculum, students are expected to
take the normal subjects and also, one technical and entrepreneurship.

"So when it comes on board in 2011 and by 2014, graduates of senior
secondary school would have gotten at least one technical
entrepreneurial skill. So if they cannot go into the university, they
could move on with their lives. We have created that foundation to
drive the acquisition of skills."

He added that NERDC has within the past four years produced nine-year
Basic Education Curriculum as well as the teachers guide for the
curriculum; 34 entrepreneurship trades for senior secondary education
due to commence in September; over 3,000 indigenous sign languages for
BEC; entrepreneurial skill acquisition curriculum for out-of-school
youth.

"The council is currently working on teachers handbook for the
implementation of the new senior secondary curriculum and has also
revised National Education policy (2007 draft edition); produced
national language policy as well as language map for Nigeria;
bilingual dictionaries in Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba for basic education.

"NERDC has equally produced orthographies/meta languages in over 34
Nigerian languages; school curriculum for some of Nigerian languages
like Efik, Izon, Kanuri, Fulfulde, Tangale, Tiv, Edo for basic
education and has, conducted predictive research on the
co-relationship between achievement in public examination and
university performance," he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5677360-146/story.csp

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)