[lg policy] CFP for Languages in contact-- second call

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 19 15:33:58 UTC 2011

Forwarded From: : LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org

Below follows a call for papers for a panel Paul Garrett and I are
organizing for  the upcoming AAA  Annual Meetings, November 16-20, 2011 in
Montreal.

Please submit your proposals to Janina Fenigsen,  fenigsen at uwm.edu by
February 28.  We intend to apply for an invited session status, the deadline
for which is March 15.

Forty Years After: Tidemarks, Legacies and Futures of Research on Contact
Languages

This year marks forty years since the publication of Pidginization and
Creolization of Languages.  Edited by Dell Hymes, the volume has become
foundational for research on language contact and creolization. Furthermore,
in forshadowing our intellectual engagements with the shifting realities of
today, many of its insights and implications have entered intellectual
traffic with other fields and disciplines. The field of research charted by
Hymes and DeCamp in their introductory remarks in the volume, was as much
concerned with questions of population flows, of the linguistic and
communicative continuities and emergencies these flows entailed, and of
historical and social forces they carried,  as it was driven by the
questions of formal linguistic processes that emerged to confront and
attenuate these emergencies.  We would like to reflect on the trajectories
of the research on contact languages and linguistic contact over the past
few decades by asking: In what ways have we been carrying out,  redefining,
as well as—perhaps—forgetting the field’s early mandate? Which of the
initial problems and insights  have retained their salience? Which ones have
been  validated and invigoriated by the cross-currents of intellectual
engagements of today? Which ones may have been washed away?

Suggested themes for papers include but are not limited to:

- Ethnographic perspectives on language contact and emergence
- Language contact and the digital media
- Contact languages and linguistic heritage
- Contact languages, nationalism, and citizenship
- The displacements and relocalizations of language

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com