[lg policy] Scots language in the UK census in Scotland

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Mon Feb 28 22:39:40 UTC 2011

The census stories are hotting up alright. Here's another about the
translation bogeyman, for those pesky foreigners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/8339114/UK-census-expected-to-cost-nearly-500m-due-to-translation-fees.html

...and another about the census monster having its feet tickled by
mischievous respondents:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-21/u-k-powerless-to-stop-jedis-witches-spoiling-2011-census.html

These stories would be getting a lot more mileage right about now if not
for earthquakes, revolutions, financial collapses and so on.

In other under-reported news, Wales goes to the polls this week on
further devolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_devolution_referendum,_2011

(The Yes vote is supposed to have a comfortable lead, but on a low turnout.)

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow