[lg policy] Microsoft Google spoof invokes Esperanto as metaphor

Slavomír Čéplö bulbulthegreat at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 13 15:36:31 UTC 2011

Dear Dave,

thanks for beating me to the punch, I was just about to post the link.
One tiny nitpick, though: the H.264 codec the support for which will
be removed from Chrome is not just favored by MS (and Apple and
Amazon), but rather by the Internet as such - as one of the links
points out, some 60% of all video on teh intert00bz is encoded in
H.264, including most of Google's very own YouTube. In light of its
status as an evolved quasi-standard, the comparison of H.264 to
English is more than apt.
In any case, I think it the 'Open Letter' is a fine piece of satire
and its idea to discuss issues of language policy using software
terminology and scifi geek/nerd vocabulary is nothing short of
brilliant. In fact, several of my programmer friends have approached
me requesting comment on this story and as you can imagine, the
ensuing discussion was quite fun. At this point, we're trying to come
up with a good analogy for endangered languages and why they matter.
Any thoughts from the assembled multitudes?

Yours sincerely,

bulbul