[lg policy] APEM Welsh Language Policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 16 14:27:01 UTC 2011

Welsh Language Policy

APEM Ltd is committed to the Welsh Language Act (1993) and the culture
of Wales, and strives to
treat Welsh and English on the basis of equality, so far as we are
reasonably able to do so. Our
ambition is to treat Welsh and English equally in every situation,
without exception.
Our Welsh Language Policy sets out our general guiding principles in
relation to providing Welsh
language services in Wales. It is supported by our Board of Directors
and recognises our
achievements to date and will be updated as new policies, services and
initiatives are introduced.

Signage
• We will strive to ensure the signage at our Wales office will be bilingual.
Website
• At present APEM’s website is in English. However, with the opening
of our new Wales
office, we are hoping to revise it so that it is fully bilingual
within the next 12 months.
Advertising & Marketing
• In respect to corporate identity, we will endeavour to ensure that
our stationary, such as
business cards, compliment slips and fax cover sheets, are available
in Welsh. Where
possible, we’ll try to have our marketing brochure available in Welsh
when displayed in our
Wales office.
• We will also aim to use more Welsh in our advertising campaigns in
Welsh publications
wherever it is reasonable to do so. We plan to use more Welsh in our
display advertisements
and in our exhibition material which are specific to our Wales office.
Communication
• If feasible, we will record the language choice of our business
contacts when developing or
updating our customer relationship management systems.
• We encourage our staff to use Welsh language and welcome the use of
Welsh when receiving
calls by our staff who are able to do so.
• We cannot guarantee to accept correspondence in Welsh but we welcome
it when there is an
appropriate member of staff who can understand Welsh. We cannot
guarantee to reply in
Welsh, but we encourage the use of Welsh by our staff who are able to do so.
Recruitment
• Where applicable, we'll consider the ability to speak Welsh
desirable when assessing people
for roles in Wales. When externally advertising for positions for our
Wales office, we'll
consider issuing a bilingual advert.
Staff & the Workplace
• We plan to assess and record the Welsh language skills required for
new posts created at our
Wales office, and intend to keep a record of Welsh speakers within the company.
• We will also support staff members who wish to improve their Welsh
language skills, and
enable them to receive training independently.
• We welcome Welsh language contributions in internal meetings, but we
insist that staff
contribute in English in certain circumstances, explaining clearly why
we are doing so.
• Where possible, we will use our best endeavours to ensure there is a
Welsh version of our
internal publications available to our staff in Wales i.e. policies,
internal training material, etc.
Community
• At APEM, we believe it is important that we give back to the
communities where we operate.
APEM’s board of directors have agreed to donate £10,000 to charitable
causes throughout
2011. APEM envisage that the scheme will extend to support local
charities in Wales.
Implementation & Monitoring
• This policy will be made available to all our staff and members of the public.
• We also encourage our contractors or third party that deliver
services on our behalf to comply
with this policy.
• APEM will regularly review the implementation of our bilingual
policy with a view to
making improvements where we can.
We would welcome your comments or suggestions on where we could do
more or improve the
current policy; should you have any comments, please contact:
Nicola O’ Keeffe
Principal Aquatic Scientist
APEM Ltd
Unit 2, Gwaun Elai
Medi Science Campus
Rhondda Cynon Taff
CF72 8XL
Tel: 01443 239 205

http://www.apemltd.co.uk/Docstore/FileLibrary/PDFs/Welsh%20Language%20Policy.pdf

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)