[lg policy] The phone-hacking scandal and the language of evasion

Gareth Price gareth.price at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jul 24 02:52:18 UTC 2011

>>From James Murdoch to David Cameron, the protagonists in the News
International investigation reveal themselves with words.

There's an irony at the heart of the News International crisis and
it's do with language. I can't think of how many meetings I've sat
through where people have explained that language has become less
important because we now live in a visual age. While it's true that
the present proceedings take place in front of cameras, the whole
matter, right from the event of phone-hacking itself, through to the
resignation speeches, Commons hearings, debates in the house, this
newspaper's forensic investigations and the world media's analyses, is
language-intensive.

Full story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/22/phone-hacking-scandal-language-evasion

--
Dr. Gareth Price