[lg policy] Keeping the Cornish language alive by taking tips from our Manx cousins

Gareth Price gareth.price at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jul 28 01:29:55 UTC 2011

RECENTLY I was fortunate enough to go to the Isle of Man (IoM) for
five days to research Manx language education at pre-school level.

As part of my trip I visited three nurseries and two playgroups that
provide full-time Manx language education to children between two and
five years.

The Manx language schools are run by a charity called Mooinjer Veggey
(MV), which has been in existence for about 13 years. Places at the
nursery schools are funded by the IoM Government and the schools are
all very popular.

Part of the reason why I wanted to visit these schools was to develop
my own professional practice as a Cornish-language early years teacher
and to gain useful and relevant knowledge and experience to help
contribute to the development of Cornish-language early years
education in Cornwall.

Full story: http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Keeping-Cornish-language-alive-taking-tips-Manx/story-13011817-detail/story.html

--
Dr. Gareth Price