[lg policy] Terralingua E-News Issue # 10

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 2 15:37:35 UTC 2011

 Forwarded From: Terralingua <info at terralingua.org>
Date: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=1405789.6979243335/rid=646098f5ef05b632a43a88b246ce676a>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/1405789/106681f9efceb2842850ee415081fffc/6979243335/?mrid=646098f5ef05b632a43a88b246ce676a>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/1405789/106681f9efceb2842850ee415081fffc/6979243335/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/1405789/106681f9efceb2842850ee415081fffc/6979243335/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/1405789/106681f9efceb2842850ee415081fffc/6979243335/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879883/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/html/home.html>
      [image: DonateNow]<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880010/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879882/1405789/goto:https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:1413322/acctId:1405789>
If you are not a Terralingua member, this is a good opportunity to
 *Join us!*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880011/1405789/goto:https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:1413322/acctId:1405789>

To update your contact information, send us an email at:
members at terralingua.org

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879881/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=3>
 *Join the Conversation*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880012/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=3>
Take part in a lively online discussion about biocultural diversity
conservation. Where we all come together to network, share ideas, and learn
from one another.

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879884/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=10>
 *Share your Story*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880013/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=10>
 Read real-life stories about biocultural diversity, or tell your own story.
An exercise in renewing the tradition of learning through storytelling.

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879885/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=2>
 *Explore the Projects
*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880014/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=2>
 Visit our showcase of biocultural diversity conservation projects. An
ever-expanding gallery of projects from all continents that take an
integrative approach to conservation.

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879887/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=50>
 *The Solutions*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880015/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=50>
Read (and write!) about solutions for biocultural diversity
conservation.

   *Terralingua E-News Issue # 10*
* *
*February 28, 2011*
* *
* *
*
*

Greetings! In the last few months, we have been busy disseminating
biocultural diversity ideas in a variety of ways. In this issue, we focus on
a number of recent publications and media pieces about Terralingua’s work.

Hot-off-the-presses: we again attracted the attention of National Geographic
News Watch! See below for the link to a lively interview with our Index of
Linguistic Diversity team members Dave Harmon, Jonathan Loh and Luisa Maffi.

This interview follows up on three previous pieces posted on National
Geographic News Watch in 2010. If you haven’t seen them yet, here are the
links to these good “primers” about biocultural diversity:

   - Language Diversity Index Tracks Global Loss of Mother
Tongues<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880016/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2011/03/language-diversity-index-tracks-global-loss-of-mother-tongues.html>
   -  Biocultural diversity: The true web of
life<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880017/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2010/06/biocultural-diversity-the-true-web-of-life.html>
    -  Restoring human cultures to the web of
life<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880018/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2010/06/restoring-human-cultures-to-the-web-of-life.html>

We hope you enjoy reading these and the other publications mentioned below,
and that you’ll feel inspired to support our innovative program of work.

As we announced in the previous e-news, this year we’re starting two new
projects: Documenting and Revitalizing Indigenous Oral Traditions and
Bringing Biocultural Diversity Education into Schools. If you wish, you can
earmark your donation for these or any of other
projects.<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880019/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/html/support.html>

We also warmly invite you to join the Terralingua Family, our Giving Circle.
By so doing, you’ll have a major role in sustaining our work and fostering
our mission. It's easy! Visit our Support Us
page<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880020/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/html/support.html>,
or just click on the *"Donate
Now"*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880021/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>
button
in this message.

Contributions to Terralingua are tax-deductible in the U.S.A., and may be
deductible in other countries as well.

We welcome all your donations--no amount is too large or small! If you have
already donated to Terralingua, we wish to thank you in advance.

Warm regards,

 Tania Aguila
 Terralingua Office Manager
  ------------------------------

    <http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879893/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2011/03/language-diversity-index-tracks-global-loss-of-mother-tongues.html>
   * Terralingua’s Index of Linguistic Diversity on National Geographic News
Watch<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880022/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2011/03/language-diversity-index-tracks-global-loss-of-mother-tongues.html>
*

  "For the past several years, we had been hearing anecdotal reports about
endangered languages--how we're losing languages by the day, how we may lose
50-90 percent of languages before the end of the century. But nobody had any
reliable quantitative data to corroborate these claims," says Luisa Maffi,
co-founder and director of
Terralingua<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880023/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/html/home.html>.
"But now a new Index of Linguistic
Diversity<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880024/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/projects/ild/ild.htm>(ILD),
the first of its kind, shows quantitatively, for the first time,
what's really happening with the world's languages."
David Braun of National Geographic News Watch interviewed Maffi, David
Harmon, and Jonathan Loh about the Index of Linguistic Diversity. Read
more…<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880025/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2011/03/language-diversity-index-tracks-global-loss-of-mother-tongues.html>

------------------------------

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879892/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/>
     *  ** Copies of Our Biocultural Diversity Sourcebook
<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880026/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=336>
*
* Sent to Africa<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880027/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=336>
*
 * *
We’re delighted to announce that, with support from The Christensen Fund,
and with the assistance of Book Aid International, our publisher Earthscan
was able to distribute 150 free paperback copies of * Biocultural Diversity
Conservation: A Global
Sourcebook<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880028/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=336>
* to libraries and organizations in various African countries. This will go
a long way toward making it possible for African students, researchers, and
professionals to familiarize themselves with the ideas and case studies
contained in the book.

------------------------------
 * Discounted Copies of the Sourcebook Still
Available!<info at terralingua.org?subject=Discounted+Copies+of+the+Sourcebook>
*

We are still distributing copies of the Sourcebook at a 20% discount over
the cover price. If you don't yet have the book, please contact
us<info at terralingua.org?subject=Discounted+SourceBook> to
find out how to receive a discounted copy.

   ------------------------------

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879891/1405789/goto:http://www.iucn.org/about/union/commissions/ceesp/ceesp_publications/pm/>
   *Recent Terralingua Publications*

 Here are some of our other recent publications:

   - “Policy for Biocultural Diversity: Where are we now?” by Luisa Maffi,
   in Issue 17 of the IUCN journal *Policy Matters*, pages 74-77*.*  You
   can download the journal by clicking
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880029/1405789/goto:http://www.iucn.org/about/union/commissions/ceesp/ceesp_publications/pm/>
   - A book review by Sanjay Khanna on our *Biocultural Diversity
   Conservation: A Global Sourcebook*, on pages 243-244 of the same journal.
   You can download the journal by clicking
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880030/1405789/goto:http://www.iucn.org/about/union/commissions/ceesp/ceesp_publications/pm/>
   - “La perdita della diversita’ bioculturale” [The loss of biocultural
   diversity], by Luisa Maffi, on pages 296-317 of the 6-volume environmental
   encyclopedia *Ecosphera*, edited by Niles Eldredge and Telmo Pievani
   (eds.), published in Italy by UTET. For our friends in italy, this is a rare
   opportunity to read about biocultural diversity in Italian! Click
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880031/1405789/goto:http://cultura.utet.it/cultura/novita/index.jsp?id=2146>

 ------------------------------
         *Social Dimensions of Modern Tamil*
* *
 A new publication from one of Terralingua's Board members, Prof. E.
Annamalai. ''For the development of... Tamil, political, economic,
scientific and technological openness and restructuring is essential. But
the forces of the twenty-first century are moving in the opposite direction
of pushing one winner, who takes all. To ensure Tamil development in such a
context, one basic requirement must be met: to find ways to give some edge
to Tamil in both the economic regeneration of Tamil society and in
information generation, both of which are interlinked. This will necessarily
involve using Tamil in science and technology, which will be the support
systems for economic and information development.'' For more information,
contact Prof. Annamalai<annamalai38 at yahoo.com?subject=Social+Dimensions+of+Modern+Tamil>
.
  ------------------------------

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880032/1405789/goto:http://www.connectingdotz.com/index.html>
*Postdoctoral Position in Natural and Cultural Heritage, Stanford University
*

 The Stanford Archaeology Center announces a postdoctoral position in global
heritage that specifically connects natural and cultural patrimony and
conservation. For more information Click
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880033/1405789/goto:http://www.buzz.mbapursuit.com/postdoctoral-position-in-heritage-and-archaeology-stanford-university.htm>
Please direct inquiries to  archaeology at stanford.edu.
 The application receipt deadline April 15, 2011. *The* *position will begin
in September, 2011.*
*
------------------------------
 *

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879890/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/Terralingua?v=wall>
   *Our Social Media Network is Growing!*
* *
<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880034/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/Terralingua?v=wall>
Join our network and ask your friends to become Terralingua fans on
Facebook<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880035/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/Terralingua?v=wall>
!

Check out our Facebook<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880036/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/Terralingua?v=wall>page
regularly. You'll get the latest news about the biocultural diversity
of life and what Terralingua is doing to sustain it.

For regular updates, you can also follow us on
Twitter<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880037/1405789/goto:http://twitter.com/terralinguaBCD>
.
We have updated Terralingua's page on
Wikipedia<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880038/1405789/goto:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terralingua>.
Visit the page to learn more about the history and goals of Terralingua.
    <http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879889/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/Terralingua>
* *
* Join us on Facebook!<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880039/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terralingua-Biocultural-Diversity/111450972208560?v=wall>
*

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879888/1405789/goto:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terralingua>
 *Follow us through
Wikipedia*!<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880040/1405789/goto:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terralingua>

<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219879886/1405789/goto:http://twitter.com/terralinguaBCD>
 *Join us on Twitter!*<http://e2ma.net/go/6979243335/208482949/219880041/1405789/goto:http://twitter.com/terralinguaBCD>
             217 Baker Road | Salt Spring Island, B.C. | V8K 2N6 | Canada

This email was sent to *haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu*. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=1412570/id=1405789.6979243335/rid=646098f5ef05b632a43a88b246ce676a>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/signupId=1412570/ID=1405789.6979243335/rid=646098f5ef05b632a43a88b246ce676a>using