[lg policy] A trilingual nation - bridging the chasm

r.amirejibi-mullen at QMUL.AC.UK r.amirejibi-mullen at QMUL.AC.UK
Tue Mar 29 13:37:10 UTC 2011

Role of English in both national and global perspective:

Dr Ruwantissa ABEYRATNE

It was both heartening and encouraging to hear that, in an interview
with Swarnavahini TV on March 16, 2011 Secretary to the President
Lalith Weeratunga had said that the government aims to build a
trilingual nation by 2020 to remove mistrust among communities and
ensure that terrorism will not surface again. The Secretary had added
that the government encourages all - especially public servants and
schoolchildren - to learn the two official languages Sinhala and Tamil
and the link language English. There could be no doubt that the
measures taken by the President, particularly in establishing a
National Languages and Social Integration Ministry in pursuance of
this objective reflects foresight, wisdom and leadership.

Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga

This article is intended to provide my views with regard to English as
a link language from both a national and global perspective.

Conversant in English
I believe that such a sage policy should not only be for removing
mistrust among communities and eradicating terrorism. It should also
serve to infuse a sense of dignity in every Sri Lankan child who could
dream of having a fair and equal opportunity of social acceptance and
employment after his/her education. During my education in Sri Lanka,
in a private school in Colombo for elementary and higher school
education and in the English medium in the Law Faculty, Colombo
University for tertiary education, it became increasingly apparent to
me that those who were not conversant in English were at a distinct
disadvantage, not only in securing employment but also in acquiring a
sense of direction, purpose and dignity in a society where there was a
psychological plus in being able to communicate fluently in English.
In most of my colleagues, particularly those in the University
studying in the Sinhala medium without a foundation in English, I
found a distinct disparity in morale, ambition and perseverance when
compared to us who spoke the Kaduwa, although none of them were found
to be lacking in intelligence.

Fundamental right
I completely agree that Sinhala and Tamil should be the official
languages in Sri Lanka. However, there is no doubt in my mind that
English is the equalizer in Sri Lankan education. It is also the only
door that would open opportunities for the younger generation - of
exposure to the world, be it by working for governmental or
multinational organizations or representing their country abroad. This
is an opportunity that every child must have, wherever he/she might be
in Sri Lanka.

To take this a step further, the equal opportunity to be educated in
English should be as much a fundamental right of every child as the
opportunity to learn the two official languages. By this I mean that
English that is taught in the country throughout must be of the same
quality and standard in order to ensure that each child has equal
opportunity to compete in later life.

I did not study in the English medium at school. English was only a
subject. However, the school infused a certain mindset in the children
that made us value English, read English books from early childhood,
listen to English songs and watch quality English movies.

This should be a joint effort between the State, the school and
parents. Where parents are not fluent in English they could try to
share the material and influence brought home by their children.

Educational techniques
Schools could even have special English programs for needy parents
whenever possible. In other words, together with educational
techniques, an English mindset should be taken to schools in which the
sole emphasis is on Sinhala or Tamil. To learn English has always been
a contemporary aspiration of people living anywhere in the world, as I
experience with people of the 190 nations I work with whose first
language is not English. We Sri Lankans are no different. There is one
more compelling reason why English should be a strong link language
and that is globalization. Globalization, which essentially means the
removal of geographic boundaries for purposes of trade and certain
other areas of human conduct, imposes certain requirements on citizens
of the world to respond to challenges. For that one needs a common
language, which has always been English. Through its current inspired
leadership, Sri Lanka is opening doors to enhanced foreign trade with
the opening of new harbours and airports and expanding business
opportunities with the world.

Global problems
Very soon, global problems wrought by increasing development would be
our problems as well. As the United Nations Secretary General said in
his address to the United Nations Association of the United Kingdom on
January 31, 2006 in Westminster, ?We are all in the same boat.? More
than ever before, the human race faces global problems firstly from
poverty and inequality to nuclear proliferation, from climate change
to bird flu, from terrorism to HIV/AIDS, from ethnic cleansing and
genocide to trafficking in the lives and bodies of human beings. So it
obviously makes sense to come together and work out global solutions.

The strength of the English language as a booster to a future of
opportunity would be any persons dream anywhere in the world and that
dream is the liberty and freedom that allows all citizens and
residents to pursue their goals in life through hard work and free
choice where equal competition will bring in just rewards.

It would bring about the opportunity to achieve greater material
prosperity than was possible and also create the opportunity for
children to grow up and receive an education that would lead to career
opportunities. In the ultimate analysis, it remains an enduring
realization that the thrust of the English language does not merely
eradicate terrorism and take away mistrust among communities but would
also bridge a psychological chasm. And this does not apply to Sri
Lanka alone.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/03/25/fea01.asp