[lg policy] Fw: Which scripts written vertically? [From Unicode list]

dzo at BISHARAT.NET dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Wed May 11 12:10:51 UTC 2011

This item from a discussion on the Unicode list may be of interest to some (and maybe someone here might have an answer?).

The existence of the list itself and the website of the Unicode Consortium may also be of interest to others not familiar with them. Their focus, of course, is representation of the written forms of languages, and in particular technical support for rendering same.

Unicode (which covers the characters of various writing ststems jointly listed in ISO-10646, along with other rules) is of course the reason we can treat diverse scripts more or less seamlessly in documents and web content.

The Unicode Consortium also manages the Common Locale Data Repository, which is basically sets of instructions to facilitate processing of different languages (again, in written form) in on computer operating systems and various applications.

Don Osborn

------Original Message------
From: fantasai
Sender: unicode-bounce at unicode.org
To: Unicode
Subject: which scripts are written vertically
Sent: May 10, 2011 16:19

There's a Unicode FAQ on the Unicode website:
   http://unicode.org/faq/bidi.html
The second question is
   "Which scripts are written vertically?"

But the answer given does not answer the question. The only script
it lists explicitly is Mongolian; the rest of the text is just some
background information on what vertical layout might entail.

I would actually like to have a definitive answer to this question. :)
Can the unnamed person responsible for this FAQ please update it?

The best I've been able to come up with so far is:
   Bopo   Bopomofo
   Egyp   Egyptian Hieroglyphs
   Hira   Hiragana
   Hrkt   Hiragana / Katakana
   Kana   Katakana
   Hani   Han
   Hang   Hangul
   Mong   Mongolian
   Ogam   Ogham
   Phag   Phags Pa
   Yiii   Yi
(All of which are top-to-bottom, except maybe Ogham, for which I've
received conflicting information.)

But I am not sure that this list is complete.

~fantasai