[lg policy] Teaching commas won't help

Ann Anderson Evans annevans123 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 14 21:10:26 UTC 2011

Boy, do I agree.  I agree so much that I wrote an article on how to use
principles of linguistics (the dreaded "Grammar" among them) to students in
high school English classes, and have begun a blog
http://www.linguisticsintheclassroom.com which contains short exercises and
explanations to be sprinkled into high school classes, giving them at least
a rudimentary idea of how language is constructed, how meaning is made, and
what the role of language is in our lives.  As a professor teaching the
required freshman writing class, I see the results of our avoidance of
teaching commas and all the rest of grammar all the time.  My own students
love to learn such things.