[lg policy] Fw: Executive order on Native American language revitalization

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 28 22:20:13 UTC 2011

Forwarded From:  LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org

**Apologies for cross-postings**

The LSA Committee on Endangered Languages and their
Preservation (CELP) is requesting the help of you, your colleagues, and your
graduate students. You may recall that last April the LSA passed a
resolution
urging President Obama to sign an executive order on Native American
language
revitalization (http://www.lsadc.org/info/lsa-res-native-american.cfm).
CELP is
now following this up by instituting a letter-writing campaign to President
Obama, in order to convey to the White House our support for this important
issue. We are asking you to do the following:

(1)  Let
your departments know about the campaign;
(2)  Ask
instructors to announce it in their classes;
(3)  Encourage
undergraduates to write letters and to further spread the word through their
social networks and/or by making announcement in other classes.

We know that there are many committed undergraduate
linguistics majors that care about endangered languages; this is an
opportunity
for them to be agents of positive change.

Writing a letter is easy – it takes just a few clicks on the
CELP website: lsacelp.org/take-action/. Instructors could also demonstrate
the process in class, sending their own letters to the White House while
students follow along on their smart phones.

Thank you very much for your attention. We value your
participation and all the work that you do in the furtherance of our field.

Yours truly,

Carol Genetti
ChairLSA Committee on Endangered Languages and their
Preservation

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com