[lg policy] The last print dictionary

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Oct 2 04:56:30 UTC 2011

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

The last print dictionary

The publicity packet that comes with my advance copy of the American Heritage Dictionary,5th ed., asks, in very big print, “Will this be the last print dictionary ever made?”

To answer the question, which I interpreted as a warning that we should buy this dictionary before it goes the way of the dinosaur, publishers Houghton Mifflin Harcourt commissioned a marketing survey that found “we overwhelmingly expressed a preference for the print dictionary.”

I resent being lumped with the “marketer’s we,” but my own quickly-mounted unscientific poll confirms that people still own and value print dictionaries, though they greatly prefer looking up words online. But not to worry, AHD’s got that covered too: the new print dictionary will also be available online and as an app.

Read the rest of the post at the Web of Language: http://bit.ly/q0IdWU

____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics