[lg policy] Cornwall: Treverbyn Academy Language Policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 8 14:56:24 UTC 2011

Treverbyn Academy
English as an Additional Language Policy
Date formally accepted by directors; August 2011
Date becomes effective: September 2011
Next review date September 2012
Person responsible for implementation: SENDCo – Alan Craig
Author: Alan Craig

Broad Guidelines:
This Academy’s EAL policy:
• recognises the benefit to all of recognising and exploring language diversity.
• is committed to home language development.
• is committed to second language support for the mainstream curriculum to be
provided within the mainstream classroom.
The policy acknowledges that:
Children who are learning English as an additional language have skills and
knowledge about language similar to monolingual English-speaking children. Their
ability to participate in the full curriculum may be in advance of
their communicative
skills in English.
Aims and objectives
The National Curriculum secures entitlement for all children to a
number of areas of
learning and gives them the opportunity to develop the knowledge, understanding,
skills and attitudes that are necessary for their self-fulfilment and
development as
responsible citizens. We promote the principles of fairness and
justice for all through
the education that we provide in our Academy.
The aim of this policy is to help ensure that we meet the full range
of needs of those
children who are learning English as an additional language. This is
in line with the
requirements of the Race Relations Act 1976.

Implementation:
1. The Academy is inclusive and its ethos is sensitive and open enough for all
children to feel free to own and use their home language in class.
2. Children’s diverse linguistic skills are celebrated and acclaimed
within the child’s
classroom.
3. Teachers and Teaching Assistants are aware of the benefits of maintaining and
developing children’s home language.
4. Teachers and Teaching assistants provide appropriate support to children
developing their spoken and written English by:
• ensuring that vocabulary work covers the technical as well as the everyday
meaning of key words, metaphors and idioms;
• explaining how speaking and writing in English are structured for different
purposes across a range of subjects;
• providing a range of reading materials that highlight the different ways in
which English is used;
• ensuring that there are effective opportunities for talking, and
that talking is
used to support writing;
• encouraging children to transfer their knowledge, skills and understanding of
one language to another;
• building on children's experiences of language at home and in the wider
community, so that their developing uses of English and other languages
support one another;
5. Teachers and Teaching Assistants co-operate in making the curriculum as
accessible as possible to bilingual pupils through:
• using accessible texts and materials that suit children's ages and levels of
learning;
• providing support through ICT, video or audio materials, dictionaries and
translators, readers and amanuenses;
• using the home or first language where appropriate.
All children in our Academy follow the curricular requirements of the Foundation
Stage and the National Curriculum. Children with English as an
additional language
do not produce separate work.
Where appropriate, we withdraw some children from lessons to receive
EAL support.
In the Foundation Stage we plan opportunities for children to develop
their English,
and we provide support to help them take part in activities.
The Foundation Stage helps children learning English as an additional
language by:
• building on children's experiences of language at home and in the wider
community, so that their developing uses of English and of other languages
support one another;
• providing a range of opportunities for children to engage in speaking and
listening activities in English with peers and adults;
• providing bilingual support to extend vocabulary;
• providing a variety of writing in the children's home language as well as in
English;
• providing opportunities for children to hear their home languages as well
as English.
6. Teachers will assess EAL children using the following:
Our Academy intends to use the recently introduced QCA English scales to measure
English language competence for EAL children linked to the National Curriculum,
where appropriate, along with the QCA document, ‘A Language in Common’.
We carry out ongoing recording of attainment and progress in line with agreed
Academy procedures.
The statutory assessment arrangements of the National Curriculum allow
us to make
special arrangements for children who are learning English as an additional
language.
In the mathematics tasks and tests at Key Stage 1 we can translate words or
phrases that appear in the assessment materials or that the children use in
their responses

http://www.treverbyn.cornwall.sch.uk/policies/EAL.pdf

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)