[lg policy] Fwd: [Baalmail] Save Our Language Papers - Online Petition

Julia Sallabank js72 at SOAS.AC.UK
Fri Sep 2 11:17:54 UTC 2011

Subscribers to the Language Policy list might be interested in this issue -
the council seem to have their logic in a twist, methinks.

See also the article in the Daily Telegraph - and the comments!

Julia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: F.Monaghan <f.monaghan at open.ac.uk>
Date: 1 September 2011 07:27
Subject: [Baalmail] Save Our Language Papers - Online Petition
To: "baalmail at lists.leeds.ac.uk" <baalmail at lists.leeds.ac.uk>

** **

Dear colleagues,****

I’m not sure about BAAL’s policy on posting links to petitions, so forgive
me if this is inappropriate, but this is in response to Newham council’s
decision to remove community language newspapers from its libraries on the
grounds that they represent a barrier to inclusion and ‘Britishness’, which
I thought BAAL might wish to oppose.****

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-our-language-papers.html ****

Regards,****

** **

Frank****

Dr frank Monaghan****

The Open University in ****London**** ****

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).

"*Our lives shall not be sweated from birth until life closes;
Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses."
*James Oppenheim, 1911*.
*