[lg policy] BBC Today Programme: Stephen Leonard on the Inuit people of Greenland

Joseph Lo Bianco j.lobianco at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sun Sep 11 23:53:04 UTC 2011

Not sure if this is an 'unintended consequence'.  In fact there has long been a discussion about the Europe of the regions in which precisely the resolution or the easing of cross-border tensions was either imagined or intended from the process of European integration.  In my humble and 'far away' view the relentless negativity that one gets from the UK about the process of European integration makes it so hard for many people there to see its benefits.  Everywhere 'on the continent' the national flag flies next to the EU flag, which is also the Council of Europe flag, and this is, so far as I can tell, unproblematic, but I have never seen this in the UK.  This is one, albeit small, indicator of what we know from the media in general, and from public discussion, the rather widespread reluctance in the UK to embrace the project of European integration, which, for all its turmoil, is much better appreciated in the rest of the EU.   After all the suppression of minority languages was a quintessentially 'national' project, the idea and the ideal in Europe of the exclusive national state, with its unique national language, and so on.  A trans-national structure doesn't 'solve' this problem but it makes it more malleable, less 'sharp-edged'.

Joe

Joseph Lo Bianco
Professor of Language and Literacy Education
Melbourne Graduate School of Education
The University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3010 VIC Australia
Tel: +613 8344 8346 Fax:+613 8344 8612  MOB: 0407 798 978
EMAIL: j.lobianco at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:j.lobianco at unimelb.edu.au>
WEBSITE: http://jlobianco.com.au/

President, Australian Academy of the Humanities