[lg policy] Ukraine: Popov does not support introduction of Russian language in Kyiv schools

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 30 17:09:52 UTC 2012

Popov not support introduction of Russian language in Kyiv schools

The law "On principles of the state language policy" has not affected
school education programs in Kyiv, chairman of the Kyiv City State
Administration Oleksandr Popov said during the Kyiv city pedagogical
conference "The first step to the school of future," ForUm
correspondent reported.

"We have to carry out the law. It provides for the activity of
territorial community. This request is a reaction of the government,"
Popov said adding that "as of today, they do not have such requests.
They start the school year in the ordinary course."

He stressed that if any local communities offer to open schools and
classes in the languages of national minorities in the capital, such
issue will be submitted to the Kyiv deputy corps.

According to him, now the capital is planning to reconstruct old and
to open new schools. "But if there are suggestions, for example, from
Armenian, Belarusian or other government or business, we will support
it" Popov said.

As for the introduction of Russian as the regional language in the
capital, Popov noted: "My personal opinion is that the capital is a
city where we should discuss this issue seriously. If I were a MP of
the City Council and voted for this issue, I would have abstained from
taking such decision at this stage. "

http://en.for-ua.com/news/2012/08/29/154623.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)