[lg policy] South Africa: ANC wants new language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 21 15:59:12 UTC 2012

ANC wants new language policy
2012-12-20 17:14

Related Links

    Mind your language - shake-up at universities
    African language development slow
    Make African language 'a requirement'

Bloemfontein - The ANC wants the teaching of an indigenous language to
be compulsory in all schools, social transformation sub-committee
chair Joe Phahla said on Thursday. "We talking about official
languages," he told reporters on the final day the African National
Congress national conference in Mangaung."Once it is policy, even a
school in Waterkloof would have to teach a language such as Tswana,
for example."

Phahla said the language would depend on the region where the school
was situated. Sesotho would, for example, be taught in the Free State.
Asked about the compulsory singing of the national anthem in schools,
committee member Paul Mashatile said no decision was taken. "We want
to promote the singing of the national anthem. We have not yet made it
compulsory but in some schools it is being sung daily already."

Mashatile said it was decided that the ANC itself should sing the full
national anthem at every meeting to set an example - and not just the
part of Nkosi Sikelel’iAfrika.The committee also decided that all
cultural practices not in line with the human rights bill should be
outlawed. These included the custom of forced marriages of young
girls, among others.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/ANC-wants-new-language-policy-20121220

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)