[lg policy] blog: A glimpse into my academic life …..

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 4 14:36:00 UTC 2012

Tag Archives: language policy

Feb3

A glimpse into my academic life…..

Posted on February 3, 2012 by suzannemateus
A glimpse into my academic life…..

This semester I am learning about language policy and discourse
analysis. I am utterly reading pages and pages of material that are of
utmost interest to me. I feel as if I have found my niche…or as I
explained recently to a friend how my desire to become an
anthropologist when I was a child is finally coming true. I am not
becoming an anthropologist, but I am using research methods grounded
in anthropology to study/research the way people use language. So
below I offer a glimpse of how my thinking about language is evolving
as I read pages and pages of salivating information about discourse
analysis and language policy. Enjoy!

When speaking, researching, studying language-in-use it is impossible
to leave out the political, economic, and social factors that
influence language because language is a social construct. Yes, from a
Chomskyan point of view all languages are inherently equal when it
comes to structure and how they are acquired, BUT what is different is
how the perception of each language is constructed as a result of
political, economical, even religious factors SO how do we study or
speak about language-in-use without considering our subjective views
as they are influenced by our social, economical, and political ties.
Is it in how we frame our research question and/or in how we analyze
the data?

http://suzannemateus.com/tag/language-policy/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)