[lg policy] Mauro E. Mujica: English as the Official Language of the US

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 5 17:49:42 UTC 2012

Mauro E. Mujica: English as the Official Language of the US

Written By Mauro Mujica

Published February 04, 2012

Fox News Latino

Newt Gingrich has said it is essential we have a common language:
English. Mitt Romney has said people need to learn English to be
successful. Rick Santorum has called learning English the greatest
gift his father and grandfather received as immigrants. Ron Paul has
agreed that at a national level, we need one official language. Even
President Obama has agreed that immigrants should learn English.

With the 2012 Presidential election in full swing, the English
language has been an increasingly hot-button issue—and rightly so.
With less than a year until the next president of the United States is
chosen, the four Republican candidates have all said they favor
English as the official language of our nation’s government.

Yet the Migration Policy Institute reports that between 1990 and 2010,
the number of people who are limited English proficient grew 80
percent—from just under 14 million in 1990 to more than 25 million in
2010. Limited English Proficient individuals now weigh in at nine
percent of the U.S. population. In a world where English is the
language of commerce, and a country where English is the language of
success, these rising numbers are cause for concern. Now, more than
ever, we need to enact a policy that will provide immigrants with the
best possible opportunity to achieve the American dream. This means
making English the official language of our government.

Best Pix of the Week

As the Chairman of U.S. English, a group that lobbies for preserving
the unifying role of the English language in the United States, I have
heard every possible argument against Official English. Yet, as an
immigrant myself, I can speak to its importance. I have seen firsthand
the doors that open to foreign newcomers as a result of learning the
English language.

Life without English proficiency in the United States is a life of
low-skilled, low-paying jobs—on average, immigrants who speak English
earn two and a half times more than immigrants who do not speak
English. Knowledge of English leads to the realization of the American
Dream of increased economic opportunity and the ability to become a
more productive member of society. After all, how can one fully
appreciate all that America has to offer, and how can one participate
fully in the democratic process, without a firm grasp of the English
language?

Studies have shown that immigrants are slower to learn English when
they receive more native language support, such as the translation of
government forms and documents. No one can deny the comfort that comes
from receiving native language support upon arriving in a new country.
But with a majority of immigrants coming to the U.S. to experience our
freedom of opportunity, their first goal should be adjusting to the
culture—and learning the language—that will allow them to attain a
better life here.

Celebrities Who Once Were Undocumented

Official English removes the crutch of government translations and
encourages immigrants to assimilate and learn the language of success
in America. Private businesses and everyday conversations would not be
affected, and because Official English only applies to government,
citizens are free to speak their language of choice as they go about
their daily lives. In fact, despite misconceptions to the contrary,
Official English does not discourage multilingualism. I believe that
Americans should be free to speak whichever language they choose. I
myself am fluent in four languages! But in order to fully live the
American way, all citizens must be able to speak English.

At a time when our country is so divided, Official English is the one
thing that can serve as our common denominator. The movement is not
about protecting the English language, but rather about preserving our
national unity and allowing us to remain a unified country rather than
a divided one. As we continue to move closer to electing our next
President, let us remember to consider each candidate’s position on
Official English. Is our next president willing to ensure the best
opportunity for immigrants while ensuring our national unity? Several
candidates have committed. For more information on the Official
English movement, as well as candidates’ positions on the issue, visit
www.usenglish.org.

Mauro E. Mujica is the CEO of U.S. English, Inc.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/02/04/mauro-e-mujica-english-as-official-language-us/#ixzz1lWy8enIP

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)