[lg policy] Re: 'Linguists Outside Academia', a new group for academic nomads and drifters

Dave Sayers D.Sayers at SWANSEA.AC.UK
Tue Feb 7 13:45:33 UTC 2012

As if I hadn't written enough the first time around, I did manage to
omit something. Let that be a lesson to me for only spending four hours
on it.

Linguists Outside Academia is a Google Group, but you don't need a Gmail
address to join (almost all our signups have been Gmail addresses). Any
old email address will do, and it's much like registering for any other
website. Your email address will act as a username for Google Groups,
and you'll pick a separate password. For example, if your email address
is dr.nobody at nowhere.edu, then your Google Group username will also be
dr.nobody at nowhere.edu, and you'll pick a password separate from the one
you use to log into your emails at mail.nowhere.edu.

If anyone has any trouble, don't hesitate to get in touch.

And since I'm emailing, allow me to boast that we've already amassed 38
members! (39 if you count both my accounts, which I do.) We've also now
got a third moderator, Anna Belew, currently of LinguistList fame.

One last thing: I've had quite a few deferential and timid emails from
end-stage postgraduates, asking if they can join up. I don't see why
not. If you're peering into the abyss beyond grad school, then you're
probably feeling the beginnings of the quivering abject terror that the
originally intended members feel as a daily routine. So, join us and
share in the chilly bewilderment of wallowing in the quagmire of
unemployability.

See you there!

Dave

--