[lg policy] Fernway School language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 10 15:12:32 UTC 2012

Fernway School Language Policy ( ADOPTED 12.12.11)

Purpose

RESPONSIBILITY:

At Fernway School, we believe that language is central to
communication and learning. That being true, it is our responsibility
to provide an integrated, language-rich environment.

Language is a transdisciplinary element woven across and throughout
the curriculum. It is our responsibility to ensure that scaffolded
learning experiences occur such that the learner can build on his/her
learning. Student participation and understanding are increased by ELL
services which support students, families, and teachers. ELL refers to
English Language Learners.

It’s crucial that students select and respond to literature in
teacher-directed and independent ways so that they see literature as a
means for understanding, exploring and gaining world and
self-knowledge. Literature is also crucial to conducting inquiry
research. It is our responsibility to be sure that students have
access to culturally diverse reading material, and the expanse of
learning available in multi-media formats.

School documents, including assessment documents, can be made
available in mother-tongue. Resources for language development, in
school and within the community, are available to families, students
and teachers. The school will direct families to the Cleveland Clinic
translation services as well as the local Mandarin Saturday School
program.

Students are encouraged to communicate through various methods
(listening, reading, speaking, writing, viewing, presenting, and
non-verbal.). These various ways to communicate include the learning
of an additional language. Ultimately, effective language instruction
helps students to become “active, compassionate, and lifelong
learners” and global citizens.
Principles

CAUSATION:

Shaker Heights City School District is committed to using
best-practices in language development. Students are nurtured to gain
an appreciation of the richness of language and the ways in which
language skills help each person become a “confident, competent
communicator.”

December, 2011 Page 2

Shaker Heights is a community that historically encourages and
welcomes diversity. Because it is an inner-ring suburb located near a
thriving university and hospital setting, Shaker Heights attracts many
families with a range of cultural backgrounds. We value each student’s
country of origin and mother-tongue language. We know that we become
better global citizens learning from those who come to us from
different places. In addition, the mission of Shaker Heights City
Schools is to “…nurture, educate and graduate students …with a
knowledge of our global and multicultural society.” Ultimately, we are
a community that is actively appealing to those from diverse places
and actively desiring to send students to diverse places to have a
powerful impact across the globe.
Practice

FORM:

Language has various components: listening, reading, speaking,
writing, viewing, presenting, and non-verbal communication.
The language in which most of the curriculum is delivered is the
Language of Instruction. At Fernway School, the language of
instruction is English. The language that the school offers, in
addition to the language of instruction, is the Additional Language.
At Fernway School, the additional language is Mandarin in grade 1-4.
The language spoken at home is the Mother-tongue. At Fernway School,
we have several students whose mother-tongue is not English.

FUNCTION:

At Fernway School, students are engaged in a literature-based approach
to language learning. There is an increased emphasis on reading for
meaning, problem solving and information processing. With guidance,
students are encouraged to select texts based on interest and need.
Other texts are teacher and/or student selected to foster inquiry and
research. Writing is teacher-directed and/or spontaneous. Writing,
including mechanics, is process-focused. Expression (writing,
speaking, drawing, etc) is a way to share and make meaning. Various
assessment methods are used (such as portfolios, conferencing, writing
sample analysis and response journals) to guide students to become
increasingly committed and knowledgeable communicators.

more at: http://www.shaker.org/Downloads/ADOPTED%20Language%20policy%20December%202011%20for%20website%20PDF.pdf

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)