[lg policy] South Africa: Big Fish School of Digital Filmmaking Language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 20 16:06:05 UTC 2012

Big Fish School of Digital Filmmaking Language policy

While  the  Language  Policy  for  higher  Education  recognizes  the
right  to  receive
education  in  the  official  language(s)  of  the  learner’s  choice,
 the  policy  nevertheless
stipulates  this  facility  for  public  educational  institutions.
Big  Fish  is  a  private  higher
education institution.

Taking  into  account  the  ongoing  need  for  development  of
dictionaries  and
scientific/technical  language  development  for  instruction  in
most  of  the  African
languages,  Afrikaans  and  English  are  still  the  dominant
languages  of  instruction,
particularly in technical fields, a category into which filmmaking falls.
Big Fish has a policy of instruction in English for the following reasons:

1. Our  learners  are  recruited  from  all  nine  provinces,  so
many  disparate  home
languages are represented, making it unviable to instruct in any language other
than English.

2. Similarly, our lecturers are from varied cultural backgrounds.

3. The nature of our subject matter is technical.

4. As English  is  the  global  business  language,  and  learners
submit their  films  to
international film festivals, we hope that technical instruction in
English will afford
them  a  better  opportunity  to  compete  at  a  global  level.  That
 said,  Big  Fish
encourages  documentary  film  production  in  a  language  of  their
choice  with
English subtitles.

http://bigfish.org.za/Prospectus/Language%20policy.pdf
 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)