[lg policy] Bangladesh: 'Our mother language right exists on paper'

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 22 19:57:58 UTC 2012

'Our mother language right exists on paper'

Wed, Feb 22nd, 2012 1:17 am BdST

Dhaka, Feb 21 (bdnews24.com) – Students from small ethnic groups,
inspired by those who sacrificed their lives for their mother tongue,
Bengali, joined the people paying respect to the language martyrs and
demanded education in their own mother languages. Parbatya Chattagram
Pahari Chhatra Parishad (PCP) brought a banner which did pay respect
to the martyrs but also asked: "Whether 'Adibasi' (indigenous people,
the word they like to be recognised as) have the right to mother
languages?"  A leader of the organisation said: "I saw in my own
village Sadhanchhara of Khagrachharhi's Dighinala upazila that many
children leave schools due to absence of education in their mother
tongues."

PCP information and publication secretary Trizinad Chakma, a
post-graduate student of Dhaka University, said he had to continue to
study in a refugee camp in India until eighth grade. "We returned
after the [CHT] Peace Accord. But our problem is not solved yet."
Many reports of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) say there are
around two million people from small ethnic groups in Bangladesh,
which critics call a debatable statistics. But have to study in
Bengali and not in their mother tongues.  Garo Students Union,
Bangladesh Marma Students Council, Bangladesh Adibasi Chhatra Sangram
Parishad and Tripura Students Forum also placed wreaths at the altar
of the Shaheed Minar.

'SYLLABI, BOOKS, TEACHERS, GOVT STEPS NEEDED'

Sohel Hajang, a member of Mother Language Lovers Association's
Bangladesh chapter and a former general secretary of Bangladesh
Adibasi Chhatra Sangram Parishad, told bdnews24.com that education in
mother languages is one of their most significant demands. "But the
demand is yet to be met."

He said some NGOs have introduced education in Chakma and Rakhain
languages for pre-primary students. But the government schools do not
have such options.

"Those organisations set up schools. They've to print books and make
syllabi separately," he said.

Canada-based Mother Language Lovers Association played a vital role in
getting Feb 21 the recognition as the International Mother Language
Day.

Mangal Kumar Chakma, information and publication secretary of Parbatya
Chattgram Jana Samhati Samiti (PCJSS), of which the PCP is a wing,
said the government is bound to facilitate education in mother
languages for the ethnic minorities under the Parbatya Zila Parishad
Act. "It exists only as in law, not in reality," he added.

He said it needs printing of books in their mother tongues, appointing
skill teachers and arranging many other things, but there is no such
step in this regard.

Bangladesh Adibasi Forum general secretary Sanjeeb Drang told
bdnews24.com that education in their respective mother language was
even included in the last education policy. "But the Adibasis are yet
to see execution [of the policy]," he added.

To recognise the importance of linguistic diversity, the UNESCO
General Conference proclaimed Feb 21 as the International Mother
Language Day in November 1999.

During the proclamation, UNESCO had said existences of 5,000 of 6,000
languages around the globe are in danger, according to Sanjeeb. "Most
of them are Adibasi languages."

He said there had been around 40 ethnic groups in Bangladesh having
their own languages, but that of the Koach is nowhere to be found.

"Only two or three people can speak in Kuruk or Barman. The two
languages are headed for extinction," he said.

"Once their languages are lost, their literature, tradition and
culture will also be lost. Bangladesh…even the world will be being
harmed for this," he added.

UNESCO director-general Irina Bokova, in a message on the occasion of
the International Mother Language Day, said: "Languages are who we
are; by protecting them, we protect ourselves."

Sanjeeb also demanded formation of Adivasi Academy and suggested
appointment of teachers from small ethnic groups in the areas
inhabited by them.

bdnews24.com/sn/corr/ost/ssr/nir/2345h
http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=218743&cid=2

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)