[lg policy] Proof-reading, copy-editing, and all round cleverness services

Dave Sayers D.Sayers at SWANSEA.AC.UK
Tue Jan 24 15:09:48 UTC 2012

Hello one and all,

Do you have an article that needs tidying up within a tight timescale,
but your well-intentioned friends and colleagues are too snowed under to
help?

Are you working on a funding application, but struggling to get your
point across? (And do you really know the difference between outcomes
and outputs?)

Could your CV do with being punchier, clearer, more concise... or just
prettier?

In short, do you have a collection of words, intended to progress your
career in some way, which may fail to deliver in their current
arrangement? If so, then look no further!

I'm an Honorary Research Fellow of Swansea University, currently working
as a freelance copy-editor and research advisor for a range of clients,
including Oxbridge Editing Ltd. I have an academic publication record,
and my freelance work has included copy-editing research work and
funding proposals. Before working freelance I completed a PhD, funded by
the UK Economic & Social Research Council, and then worked as a Research
Manager for a charity where I put together funding bids for five funding
bodies. I sit on the Peer Review College of the ESRC, and the
International Panel of Experts of the Kazakh National Center of Science
and Technology Evaluation. Elsewhere I've peer-reviewed research funding
proposals for Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Germany), and Beacon for
Wales. I've also peer-reviewed academic articles for the Journal of
Sociolinguistics, and Sociology. For further details of my illustrious
career to date, just click the web link conveniently located in the
signature at the bottom of this message.

...and if none of that has convinced you, then let me shamelessly tug at
your sympathies by explaining that I'm doing this to support myself
while I develop my academic portfolio, in order to find academic
employment. Life ain't easy for a down-and-out academic, and there's
only so long that my wife will keep me in the style to which I've become
accustomed. We do have guinea pigs to feed, after all.

I'm familiar with the going rates for these sorts of services, and I aim
to be competitive. My rate will vary depending on the kind of work, the
depth of editing required, and how hungry our guinea pigs are.

Please get in touch with any queries, comments, criticisms, compliments,
and most importantly, offers of work! No job is too small. Really, I
will proof-read a shopping list.

I leave you with an important message about hardship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

All the best,
Dave

--