[lg policy] IFLE Newsletter, May 2012

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 8 16:06:31 UTC 2012

Forwarded From: U.S. Department of Education <ed.gov at public.govdelivery.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

IFLE Newsletter, May 2012

** **
    News from the International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE) Office
[image: =============]
[image: =============]
Newsletter, Volume 1, May 2012
[image: =============]
     [image: edl ogo]
Welcome to the U.S. Department of Education’s International and Foreign
Language Education (IFLE) office newsletter!  Our aim is to bring you
updates from our office on a regular basis.  Updates will include:  grant
competition announcements, funding updates, information on technical
assistance such as webinars and meetings, etc.

We are pleased to announce two upcoming webinars on applying to the Fiscal
Year 2012 Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language (UISFL)
Program. For additional information, please go
here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzAyMDg1MCZlbWFpbGlkPWhhcm9sZGZzQGNjYXQuc2FzLnVwZW5uLmVkdSZ1c2VyaWQ9aGFyb2xkZnNAY2NhdC5zYXMudXBlbm4uZWR1JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&100&&&http://www2.ed.gov/programs/iegpsugisf/applicant.html>
and
in the Timeline section, click on the "Upcoming Webinars" link.
[image: =============]
[image: Morgan State visits AIIS]
On May 20, the American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS) welcomed a group
of students from Morgan State University who will study Hindi in Jaipur and
volunteer with Indian NGOs as part of their service learning projects. The
group will stay in India for five weeks. AIIS provided an orientation for
the group, which was attended by Mark Nachtrieb, Cultural Attaché at the
U.S. Embassy.  Nachtrieb spoke to the students at length about keeping
track of their progress and enjoying their stay in India. The orientation
also included discussions of Indian society and culture and an overview of
the Hindi language program at AIIS.  IFLE supported AIIS under the American
Overseas Research Centers program for the FY 2007-10 cycle, and it is a
grantee under the Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad long term language
program. Please go
here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzAyMDg1MCZlbWFpbGlkPWhhcm9sZGZzQGNjYXQuc2FzLnVwZW5uLmVkdSZ1c2VyaWQ9aGFyb2xkZnNAY2NhdC5zYXMudXBlbm4uZWR1JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&101&&&http://www2.ed.gov/programs/iegpsaorc/index.html>and
here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzAyMDg1MCZlbWFpbGlkPWhhcm9sZGZzQGNjYXQuc2FzLnVwZW5uLmVkdSZ1c2VyaWQ9aGFyb2xkZnNAY2NhdC5zYXMudXBlbm4uZWR1JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&102&&&http://www.indiastudies.org/>for
additional information.
[image: =============]
IFLE staff will travel to the upcoming NAFSA 2012 Annual Conference in
Houston, TX from May 28 – June 1, 2012. Ms. Cheryl Gibbs will moderate and
Dr. Timothy Duvall will speak on a panel entitled “Funding Opportunities
and Future Directions in International Education: A U.S. Federal Government
Perspective.”
 [image: IFLE globe]
If you are receiving this email, you are already signed up for our IFLE
newsletter.  If this has been forwarded to you and you are interested in
receiving our newsletter, please email michelle.guilfoil at ed.gov and put
“Subscribe to IFLE Newsletter” in the subject heading.  If you would like
to unsubscribe, please click on the "Unsubscribe" link located at the
bottom of this document.
[image: =============]
[image: Chinese Delegation with IFLE Staff]
  On Monday April 16, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education received a
delegation of 12 administrators from the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
This is administered by the office of International and Foreign Language
Education (IFLE) through the Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad (SA) Program.
Through the SA program and collaboration with the Ministry of Education in
the PRC, we are able to bring two delegations from the PRC to the U.S. for
two weeks, twice annually. Through this bilateral agreement with the
Ministry of Education, we also send a group of 16 American educators and
administrators to the PRC each summer for four weeks. The purpose of this
relationship is to strengthen educational ties between our two countries
and build a mutual understanding of how we teach future generations.  This
relationship between the U.S. and the PRC has been ongoing for several
decades. The programs in the PRC and the U.S. are administered by the
National Committee on U.S.-China Relations (NCUSCR). You can find more
information about the program
here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzAyMDg1MCZlbWFpbGlkPWhhcm9sZGZzQGNjYXQuc2FzLnVwZW5uLmVkdSZ1c2VyaWQ9aGFyb2xkZnNAY2NhdC5zYXMudXBlbm4uZWR1JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&103&&&http://www2.ed.gov/programs/iegpssap/index.html>and
here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzAyMDg1MCZlbWFpbGlkPWhhcm9sZGZzQGNjYXQuc2FzLnVwZW5uLmVkdSZ1c2VyaWQ9aGFyb2xkZnNAY2NhdC5zYXMudXBlbm4uZWR1JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&104&&&http://www.ncuscr.org/?q=programs/education_delegation>.”

[image: IFLE World]
The Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad (GPA) Program will begin its panel
review of applications to the Fiscal Year 2012 cycle the week of May 28,
2012 and June 18 respectively for its short-term and long-term (foreign
language) grants.  IFLE hopes to announce the new grants in August.  Please
go here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTIwNjA2LjgwOTIzMjEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzAyMDg1MCZlbWFpbGlkPWhhcm9sZGZzQGNjYXQuc2FzLnVwZW5uLmVkdSZ1c2VyaWQ9aGFyb2xkZnNAY2NhdC5zYXMudXBlbm4uZWR1JmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&105&&&http://www2.ed.gov/programs/iegpsgpa/index.html>for