[lg policy] The European Library's Language Policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 27 15:40:01 UTC 2012

Language Policy

The European Library aims to ensure that as many people as possible
can access relevant and up-to-date information. We want to support the
expansion of knowledge and the research of the academic communities
throughout Europe and the world.

In order to meet those goals, we do our best to provide the public
with the information they are looking for in their own language.

Our aim is to:

    Provide all top-level pages and the interface of the website in
the 36 European languages spoken in the Council of Europe. This is
possible whenever translations are provided by our network of
volunteer translators.
    Utilise Wikipedia to update information on the Partners and
Contributors section of the portal. Where translations are available
from the Wikipedia entry, they will also be available on this website.
    Put an open-source translation tool in place, in order to give
users the ability to translate as much of the site into as many
languages as possible. This will be available later in 2012.

These are our guidelines for translations.

    Tools to manage translation will be developed and maintained by
The European Library Office.
    The completion of the translations will be the responsibility of
each partner library.
    The European Library Office will notify each library should an
update be required but will not chase for that update.
    Information that is urgent or has a very short life is in English
only (news items, ad-hoc error messages)
    All surveys about the site will be produced in all feasible languages only.
    Search Engine Promotion will be executed in English, in the first instance.
    The exhibitions will be primarily in English with limited
translation into other languages, where possible.
    Papers, reports and other official documents will be maintained
solely in English, as the working language of The European Library.

If, however, an individual library wishes to translate and maintain
any of the above from within their own resources, The European Library
would be happy to enable its display.
You can also read the paper that led to the development of our language policy:
Language Policy (Paper, PDF)

http://www.theeuropeanlibrary.org/tel4/languagepolicy?locale=sq

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)