[lg policy] Guam - The Public Policy Institute will host a public talk on the Insular Cases.

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 8 16:00:20 UTC 2012

Guam - The Public Policy Institute, a student internship in the Office
of Speaker Judith T. Won Pat, Ed.D., will host a public talk on the
Insular Cases.

The public talk will be held on Saturday, March 10, 2012, at 3:30pm,
in the Public Hearing of the Guam Legislature.  The featured speaker
is Attorney Leevin Camacho.  Attorney Camacho is a graduate of John F.
Kennedy High School who went on to receive his law degree from Boston
College.  He is licensed to practice on Guam and California and is a
vocal advocate for the preservation of Guam lands, environment, and
Chamorro language and culture.

The Public Policy Institute regularly hosts educational talks and
workshops for the benefit of its interns and the public at large.

The Insular Cases are those series of opinions issued by the U.S.
Supreme Court concerning the status of territories acquired by the
United States.  In these cases, the Supreme Court essentially stated
said that full constitutional rights did not automatically extend to
all areas under American control. In these cases the U.S. Supreme
Court also established the doctrine of territorial incorporation. Of
particular controversy is the court’s opinion that the Constitution
applied only partially in the unincorporated territories of Puerto
Rico and Guam.   The public talk is meant to shed greater light on the
facts surrounding the cases and to encourage public dialogue on the
topic.  The event is free and open to the public.

“It’s important that we help our people understand why our current
political status isn’t the best possible status for the People of
Guam.  Holding a public talk on a fundamental piece that defined the
political landscape for Guam for the past one hundred years is the
perfect place to start” stated Speaker Judith T. Won Pat, Ed.D.

Senator Rory J. Respicio, Majority Leader and Chair of the Federal
Affairs Committee, said: “The roots of Guam’s thorniest problems lie
within the boundaries of our relationship with the U.S. Federal
Government. I commend Attorney Camacho for leading this conversation,
and look forward to discussions on these Insular Cases. By increasing
our dialogue on important territorial issues, we move closer to
resolving our differences and working together through the Guam First
Commission to negotiate a defined relationship with the United States
Government that moves our island community to resolving these past and
present injustices.”

http://www.pacificnewscenter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21587:public-policy-institute-leevin-camacho-the-insular-cases-saturday-&catid=56:community-events

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)