[lg policy] SKH St. Mary=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=Church Mok Hing Yiu College language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 12 15:03:09 UTC 2012

SKH St. Mary’s Church Mok Hing Yiu College
Whole-School Language Policy

Rationale

Our Whole-School Language Policy is formulated in accordance with
relevant guidelines provided by the EDB to cater for the specific
needs of our students. Our policy takes into account the structure and
particular characteristics of our school on one hand, and our
students’ abilities on the other, thereby adhering to the criteria of
school support, teacher capability and student ability. Under our
Language Policy, the two crucial factors determining our Medium of
Instruction (MOI) are as follows:
(a)

Students’ profile with S1 allocation results provided by the EDB since 2010/11.
(b)

Particular needs and abilities of our students.

Part 1. Multilingual Measures

Our school aims at biliteracy and trilingualism which acknowledge the
power of mother-tongue teaching while giving due emphasis to the
proficiency in English and Putonghua. Our fine-tuned MOI arrangements
are the product of the rationale described above, and are outlined in
the following subsections.

Part 2. Language Across the Curriculum (LAC)

Our school aims to develop a rich culture of Language Across the
Curriculum (LAC) and to implement corresponding measures to facilitate
a steady and sustained progression from CMI classes in S1 to EMI
classes in S2 and S3. In this respect, our LAC measures not only
facilitate collaboration between English teachers and EMI subject
teachers and enrich students’ English exposure, but also bridge the
gap between our S1 CMI curriculum and S2 and S3 EMI classes.

An EMI preparatory curriculum, i.e. LAC lessons, is conducted in S1
for Mathematics, Integrated Science, Geography, Computer Literacy, and
Technology & Living. These subjects are taught in English in the EMI
classes in S2 and S3.
Part 3. EMI Classes and English Enhancement Classes
(a)

Arrangement
i.
To cater for students’ diversity in receiving EMI education, we
provide EMI classes for more able students and English Enhancement
classes for less able students in S2 & S3.
ii.
In EMI classes, 5 subjects other than English Language, i.e.
Mathematics, Integrated Science, Geography, Computer Literacy,
Technology & Living, are taught in English.
iii. In English Enhancement classes, 2 subjects other than English
Language, i.e. Mathematics & Integrated Science, are taught in
English.
(b) Rationale
The rationale underpinning our policy of providing our S1 students with
the opportunity to study certain subjects in English has two important
components:
i. We believe that streaming students in S2 allows a more evenhanded
assessment of students’ abilities and is thereby a more
effective way of streaming than relying solely on their primary
academic records and the pre-S1 attainment test results.
ii. We also believe that allowing students one year to adapt to the
secondary school life may help them realize their abilities and
needs to study in English.
(c) Criteria for Streaming
The effective selection of students for the S2 EMI class is a determining
component of our MOI measures and is rigorously undertaken. In order to
be placed in the S2 EMI class a student must meet one or more of the
following:
i. Be placed in the top 36 according to their academic performance
in English Language and achieve a pass in all other subjects;
ii. Be an active participant in our English extra-curricular programmes;
iii. Achieve high scores in our pre-S1 attainment test.
Selection of students for placement in the EMI class in S2 is made by
our English Panel Head and NET. The final selection needs to be endorsed
by our Academic Committee.

Part 4. Extended Learning Activities (ELA)

Our school conducts Extended Learning Activities (ELA) in English for CMI
classes to enhance the English learning environment of students. These
ELA are due
to be increased to 25% of the total lesson time. They are implemented in the
following modes:
(a) Cross-curricular English enrichment programmes through the collaboration
of non-language and English Language subject teachers.
(b) Teaching individual modules or themes in English in the relevant subjects.
(c) Using EMI with regard to the nature of the learning material.
(d) Strengthening the bridging programmes of the relevant subjects to
facilitate a smooth transition for students who choose to switch to EMI
learning at senior secondary levels.
(e) Allocating certain lesson time of individual subjects to go
through in English
the concepts and contents that have been taught in the mother tongue.

Part 5. Goals and Mission

Our whole-school Language Policy and MOI measures are designed for the
betterment of our students. We aim to provide our students with a
coherent progression of differentiated opportunities from S1 through
to senior levels. Our commitment to improving the English proficiency
and all-round academic strength of our studentship is constant. We
believe the policy and measures outlined in this document equip them
well for study at university and work in Hong Kong

http://smcc.edu.hk/test/MOI_policy2.pdf

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)