[lg policy] bibitem: Vocational language learning and how it relates to language policy issues

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 5 13:38:17 UTC 2012

Vocational language learning and how it relates to language policy issues

Maseko, Pamela (2008) Vocational language learning and how it relates
to language policy issues. Masters thesis, Rhodes University.

MASEKO-MA-TR08-78.pdf

Abstract

This research explores issues relating to language policy, and
language learning and teaching. It further looks at the relationship
that exists between language policy and language learning and
teaching. In the research I argue that well-thought out and
well-meaning language policies will fail to be implemented
meaningfully if there is no clear and unambiguous implementation plan.
I also note that the national vision and ideals which are often
embodied in the language policy fail to take effect if, again, there
is no comprehensive implementation plan. This view is held by many
scholars and researchers in the areas of language policy and planning.
In my research I argue that universities, as centres of research and
innovation, are critical to the implementation of language policy. The
work looks at various statutory language policy documents, in Africa
and South Africa in particular, that give the task of language policy
implementation to universities. In South Africa, there are various
language policy frameworks, acts and plans pertaining to the role the
universities should play in promoting multilingualism and developing
the eleven official languages as languages of learning and teaching,
and promoting academic literacy in languages of learning and teaching
(LoLT) to those students for whom LoLT is not their mother. The Higher
Education Act (1997) prescribed that universities must develop their
own language policy, with a clear implementation plan. Universities
are also tasked with the responsibility of the development of the
indigenous language/s for purposes of their use in various academic
acts at university. This research looks at four universities – Rhodes
University (RU), Stellenbosch University (SU), University of Cape Town
(UCT) and Walter Sisulu University (WSU) and assesses their language
policy and plan, and whether the language practices in these
institutions are reflective of their policy and plan. The study
further explores multilingualism programmes implemented at RU –
programmes that support some of the objectives of RU’s language
policy. It looks specifically at the vocation-specific isiXhosa
language learning programmes designed for the Faculties of Law and
Pharmacy respectively. In the study I also discuss the task-based
syllabus design, a framework which we have employed in designing the
vocation-specific programmes indicated above. The task-based syllabus
design is examined as an approach that could offer an effective base
for successful second language acquisition. It is hoped that the study
will be able to give policy makers and those tasked with
implementation, especially at tertiary education level, ideas for
successful policy implementation. In essence there needs to be
co-ordination between policy and the implementation plan. It is also
my hope that the task-based curriculum design model, and its
principles investigated in this research, could be used as a basis for
development of programmes in other vocation-specific disciplines, and
that it could be transferred to other languages.

http://eprints.ru.ac.za/2741/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)