[lg policy] Notes on Language Policy Across the Curriculum =?windows-1252?Q?=96_?=Chapter 3: Fact Gathering (in Language Policy Across the Curriculum)

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 10 14:35:35 UTC 2012

Language Policy Across the Curriculum – Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Fact Gathering (in Language Policy Across the Curriculum)

Some brief notes made during my reading of Corson’s text.

Large-Scale and Small-Scale data acquisition ctivities are discussed,
the former may undertaken as a piece of (or subset of) academic
research, Masters-level study perhaps – I recall many terms and
nomenclature from my Educational Research Methods module at UWS.

Small-Scale

This level of study allows for a more concise and defined scope of
investigation into literacy and its usage across the curriculum.
Corson defines teachers as either ‘exclusionary’ or ‘collaborative’
but that this is a continuum of attitude and outlook.  This initial
‘categorisation’ should help to define the CPD requirements necessary
to fit the needs of staff members.

Knott (1985), suggests that staff are provided with questionnaires as
to their perspectives of language usage within their classroom.
Development activities can be provided as electives, some of which may
have already been identified by the school’s language ‘policy group’ –
community of practice.

Other suggestions include:

    Whole-school marking of the same piece of writing (I would extend
this to include a number of genres);
    Create a ‘picture’ of the writing undertaken by two targeted
pupils over the course of a week in all subjects;
    Follow an individual or class for one day and record some aspect
of language or interaction.
    Pupils can themselves maintain a ‘Record of Reading’ activities,
charting their literacy requirements (Reading, Writing, Listening and
Talking) as well as the type, volume and breadth associated with their
engagement with ‘texts’.

Some interesting activities that for our pupils would assist in their
undertaking more responsibility for their learning, leading – perhaps
– to greater choice and self-determination with regard to types and
genres of texts.

And for teaching professionals (often denied such luxuries as autonomy
and self-determination) the recurring theme?  CPD that is relevant,
inclusive and longitudinal.