[lg policy] Ukraine: Regions Party proposes to consider bill on languages with Venice Commission's comments

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 15 14:56:16 UTC 2012

Regions Party proposes to consider bill on languages with Venice
Commission's comments

12:15

The Regions Party faction in the Ukrainian parliament has proposed to
consider the bill on languages as soon as possible.

"We have long considered the issue of government language policy. Bill
No. 9073 has been worked out. It takes into account all the comments
that were made, including by the Venice Commission... and it also
takes into account the proposals made by our leading institutions on
the subject so that that our country could implement in civilized way
the Language Charter, which is in effect in Europe, and which rises no
criticism," leader of the faction Oleksandr Yefremov said during a
conciliatory council on Monday.

He also added that this bill does not give preference to any language,
the official language is Ukrainian, but the use of other languages in
our state is defined in a civilized way.

Yefremov asked the parliament's leadership to put the bill up for consideration.

http://www.interfax.com.ua/eng/main/104042/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)