[lg policy] India: Language no barrier to bring people together :

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 17 15:29:02 UTC 2012

Language no barrier to bring people together : Mamata
Press Trust of India / Kolkata May 17, 2012, 04:21

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said that her
government believed in bringing together people of all states despite
their diversity in languages and culture.

"West Bengal is a true cosmopolitan state. We never divide people on
the line of their language and culture. I never treat people as
Bengali or Marwari but some people like to play dirty game which I
can't accept", Banerjee said.

The chief minister was speaking at a function after releasing a book
'Anjali Gitan Ri', the first poetic translation of Tagore's Gitanjali
in Rajasthani language.

"I don't believe in divide-and-rule policy. We are all like a family.
This bond is required to strengthen communal harmony in a secular
state", Banerjee said.

Stressing the need for bringing together people nationwide despite
diversity in language and culture, Banerjee said there should not be
any discrimination or differences.

"We must carry forward this message which can be followed by the
entire world", she said.

"We love all languages. It's good to know more languages and enlighten
our cultural wisdom", the chief minister said.

Speaking about the book 'Anjali Gitan Ri', translated in Rajasthani
language by eminent litterateur Ikraam Rajasthani, Banerjee said such
an initiative should also continue in translating the works of
Gandhiji, Netaji, eminent freedom fighters and great personalities.

http://www.business-standard.com/generalnews/news/language-no-barrier-to-bring-people-togethermamata/9737/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)