[lg policy] Canada: Harper to Test Language Policy Waters

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 23 14:34:44 UTC 2012

Harper to Test Language Policy Waters
Series of Government of Canada pan-Canadian consultations on official languages.
Article | May 22, 2012 - 1:09pm | By Canada Newswire Press Release

The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official
Languages, today launched the first in a series of Government of
Canada pan-Canadian consultations on official languages.

"Canada's two official languages help define who we are as Canadians.
They are the languages of our national dialogue and the ones that
allow new arrivals to this country to participate fully in our
society," said Minister Moore. "Thanks to our official languages,
together we are building a prosperous Canada. These are the reasons
why we are proud to hold follow-up consultations on the Roadmap."

The Government will undertake extensive consultations, meeting with
Canadians in every province and territory. In addition to Moncton,
communities that will host consultations include Victoria, Edmonton,
Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Sudbury, Québec City, Montréal,
Fredericton, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's, Whitehorse,
Yellowknife, and Iqaluit. Consultations will also be held in smaller
communities across Canada.

Additional communities will be added to the list and announced at a
later date. An online forum will also give Canadians who are unable to
attend consultations in person the opportunity to share their views.

The Roadmap for Canada's Linguistic Duality 2008-2013: Acting for the
Future is an unprecedented government-wide investment of $1.1 billon
over five years that reaffirms the Government of Canada's commitment
to our two official languages and to ensuring the vitality of
official-language minority communities.

You can access the online consultations at www.pch.gc.ca/olconsultationslo.

http://monctonfreepress.ca/article/harper-test-language-policy-waters

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)