[lg policy] Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada must consider and decide on a bill on the foundations of the governmental language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 26 14:51:13 UTC 2012

Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada must consider and decide on a bill on the
foundations of the governmental language policy, Regions Party
parliamentary faction leader Oleksandr Yefremov said.

"At today's meeting of the conciliatory council with Volodymyr Lytvyn, we
were asked to agree to have this bill removed from the agenda. We have no
regulatory or other statutory norms to accept that," Yefremov said at a
briefing on Friday.

"Under the regulations, we are in the process of considering this bill and
must complete the procedure," he said. What the result will be can be seen
in the session hall, the faction leader added.

"If there are votes, it means the bill will be backed and find legal
application in our state. No vote means that we will continue working with
our colleagues and the public by explaining this problem," Yefremov said.

It was reported that a fight broke out in the Ukrainian parliament on May
24 after consideration of the bill proposed by Regions Party deputies Vadym
Kolesnichenko and Serhiy Kivalov. Speaker Volodymyr Lytvyn announced the
closure of the evening session.

Under the bill, Ukrainian is an official language, while regional or
minority languages are: Russian, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Armenian, Gagauz,
Yiddish, Crimean Tatar, Moldovan, German, Greek, Polish, Romani, Rumanian,
Slovak, Hungarian, Rusyn, Karaim and Krymchak.

http://www.interfax.com.ua/eng/main/105553/