[lg policy] United opposition calling on Ukrainians to join fight against language law

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 31 14:44:04 UTC 2012

United opposition calling on Ukrainians to join fight against language law

The united opposition has urged Ukrainians to gather outside the
parliament at 0900 on June 5 to prevent the adoption of the law on the
language policy proposed by the Regions Party, Vice Speaker of the
Verkhovna Rada Mykola Tomenko of the BYT-Batkivschyna faction has
said.

At a joint press conference with Front for Change Party Leader Arseniy
Yatseniuk in Ivano-Frankivsk on Wednesday, Tomenko quoted
Parliamentary Speaker Volodymyr Lytvyn as saying that the Rada may
return to consideration of the language law next plenary session,
which begins on June 5.

"The parliament can become a constant threat to Ukraine. The
pro-government MPs will continue to submit to the Rada bills drafted
by the election headquarters of the Regions Party, since they have no
other way than to churn out five to seven laws to show that they have
started to implement their election platform, and to mobilize their
voters. We cannot allow the Verkhovna Rada to turn into a subsidiary
of the election headquarters of the Regions Party," the Front for
Change press service quoted Tomenko as saying.

"We need massive support in order to show that we will not surrender
the Ukrainian language and our values," the vice speaker said.

http://www.interfax.com.ua/eng/main/105992/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)