[lg policy] bibitem: Whole language policy: Additional thoughts on a prototypical model

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 31 14:50:00 UTC 2012

[Translation of Hufeisen, Britta (2011), Gesamtsprachencurriculum:
Überlegungen zu einem prototypischen Modell. In:
Baur, Rupprecht/Hufeisen, Britta (eds.) (2011): "Vieles ist sehr
ähnlich." - Individuelle und gesellschaftliche Mehrsprachigkeit
als bildungspolitische Aufgabe. Baltmannsweiler, Schneider
Hohengehren, 265-282.]

Whole language policy: Additional thoughts on a prototypical model
Britta Hufeisen

1. Preliminary thoughts

In this article, I would like to present my thoughts on how European
institutional plurilingualism (L1 + 2) that exists on an individual basis
and to date remains an official objective might be introduced
systematically and reflected, implemented and promoted in schoolbased
educational institutions (cf. also Bausch et al. 2004 and 2008). In
my attempt to demonstrate how this works, I will use a prototypical
whole language policy, which implements the idea of curricular
plurilingualism by means of consistent use of bilingual instruction of
content subjects, as well as supporting measures. These thoughts are a
continuation of the ideas I initially discussed in 2005 (2005a), returned
to in 2008 and have now refined. I have presented the theoretical
language acquisition foundations required to understand these ideas in
a separate publication. They are based on my revised factor model 2.0
for describing multiple language learning (cf. Hufeisen in press). I am
aware that it is quite likely that my ideas about a whole language
policy will never be put into practice, because far too many
administrative hurdles exist, because too many skeptics – especially
parents, who generally think that such proposals are simply too much
for their children – will be armed with counterarguments, and because
it seems to contain too much that has never been heard of before (see
below). Be this as it may, I consider the basic notions to be relevant,
because they may possibly initiate other ideas that can actually be put
into practice and because they make sense in terms of economics (cf.
de Cillia et al. 2003).

More at: http://www.ecml.at/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jFtdLx6%2BD2Q%3D&tabid=864&language=en-GB

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)